Copper john wire size

mike_richardson

mike_richardson

I know this will make me sound like a rookie, but what size wire do you find works best on copper johns? I never tie them, I never fish them, and wanted to add it to my arsenal this year. These will be size 16-12.

Thanks guys. I thought size small would be too hard to have nice looking segments. My thoughts were medium but wanted to get your take on this.

Thanks.

Most of the time I will use between 18 and 24 guage wire that I pick up at AcMoore's.

Use the brassie size. Thanks for the reminder, I bought a bunch of CJ's and CJ soft hackles for .50 or so each. I need to try fishing them some time or quit carrying them in my box.

I don't really ever fish with them. I think when I did use CJ and Price nymphs I may have caught 6 fish all together. I ll typically have maybe 8 patterns I fish with and then just stuff I want to test. LOL

I caught a lot of fish on Prince nymphs and variations of them. Pretty good attractor pattern. I haven't fished them since end of june last year. But I have a pile of prince nymphs and cj's. I guess I should make it a point to fish them sine time.

Just curious what is your list of 8 patterns.

Medium fine or brassie size. Medium makes them look like hell and x-fine you'll be wrapping one hook all night.

My 8 patterns would be as follows. All tung bead heads size (14-16)

Lively Legz Copper and chocolate brown hares ear plus GRHE
Lively Legz hares ear plus natural #1 gold bead GRHE

Lively Legz copper bead and brown pheasant tail
Lively Legz black bead and yellow pheasant tail
Lively Legz gold bead and natural pheasant tail

peeping caddis merriams turkey tail size 12 gold rib gold bead
Caddis larva various colors- olive body black bead

Caddis pupa various colors-pale yellow body, peacock thorax, black bead

If I cant catch trout on those nymphs I might as well just go home. LOL

honorable mentions are
Lively Legz sulphur nymph
Lively Legz generic nymphs, mallard flank tail, (insert dubbing color here)
peeping caddis with dubbed body

Is there anything wrong with just stripping the insulation off an old discarded electrical cord, such as from an extension cord or from an old appliance or lamp and using that copper wire?

I need them to be chartreuse, red, and black

troutbert wrote:
Is there anything wrong with just stripping the insulation off an old discarded electrical cord, such as from an extension cord or from an old appliance or lamp and using that copper wire?

Yes, actually.

The wire inside electrical cord is not coated and will tarnish to a dull brown color the same way pennies tarnish.

Colored wires sold for fly tying or crafting are coated with a laquer and will stay bright and keep their original color indefinitely.

I guess if your are a real cheap @$$ you can use stripped wire but in the long run you gain nothing as the flies you don't use immediately will eventually tarnish and look terrible.

However, it should be noted that the wire found inside small extricate motors IS coated and will stay nice and bright.

But still, wire is cheap and a spool of it is convenient and lasts a long time.

Back