Copper Fit

barrybarry

barrybarry

So I'm thinking...Hey I got copper wire. I have parts that don't work.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F5Zf9H6qqPM

Is there some connection here with fly tying? What is your point?

This belongs in OT Jam Forum and will be moved there in a little while unless you can explain its purpose here. Thanks for your understanding.

Copper electrical wire works well for ribbing nymphs and wet flies.

For example on nymphs and wets that use Hares ear fur.

(I didn't watch the video, but if it is not flyfishing related, just delete it.)

Well, since you salvaged the thread, it belongs here.

Scrap copper wire is the most easily salvageable fly tying material. Why would you pay for it, unless you are just lazy.

But I wonder if there is an ecological impact from all this copper in our streams. Thoughts?

JackM wrote:
Well, since you salvaged the thread, it belongs here.

Scrap copper wire is the most easily salvageable fly tying material. Why would you pay for it, unless you are just lazy.

But I wonder if there is an ecological impact from all this copper in our streams. Thoughts?

Well now should we move it to the Conservation Forum?

:-D

It matters as much to me as using lead weight...or wearing a special pair of boots in a didymo stream. Wait I do have a special pair but fail to see how my one vote will win the election.

Back to off topic I presume?

Off topic. My bad. OT Forum.

JackM wrote:

Because you can get the sizes you want, and the colors you want.

Also, copper wire like Ultra Wire is coated, so it doesn't corrode as easily.

And it comes in handy spools that make storage easier - aka......lazy. :cool:

JackM wrote:

Thanks to Jack I'm dealing with a lot of guilt because I'm not stripping plastic off of copper wire. Hopefully I can get an appointment with a psychoanalyst.

Frank Sawyer's original pheasant tail nymph used copper wire, and did not even use thread.

hey, the Sawyer PT is awesome. Sinks like a rock and glitters all the way down and back up on the swing.

Back