Cooler / Carry On

Bruno

Bruno

I am looking for a good cooler that meets airline requirements for a carry on bag. I've seen guys use a playmate but was looking for something that would be a bit bigger.

22in x 9in X 14in are the airline requirements.

I found this and I think it will work but wanted to see if you all had any suggestions

Then i have a carry on bag and a cooler when i reach my destination.

You have to be careful of what you put in it. TSA Officers are probably not going to allow you to carry on freezer packs or any other liquids over 3.4 oz. See this link: https://www.tsa.gov/travel/security-screening/whatcanibring/items/freezer-packs

What are you intending on carrying in the cooler?

Bruno wrote:
I am looking for a good cooler that meets airline requirements for a carry on bag. I've seen guys use a playmate but was looking for something that would be a bit bigger.

22in x 9in X 14in are the airline requirements.

I found this and I think it will work but wanted to see if you all had any suggestions

Then i have a carry on bag and a cooler when i reach my destination.

A soft cooler bag would almost certainly work as long as it doesn't have liquid ice packs in it. I wouldn't stress about it being technically oversize. As long as it is soft and can be squished you'll be alright, just don't over stuff it so full that it will cause a space problem in the over-head. The trick to getting carry-on onto the plane is don't ask questions about it to anyone who might stop you.

In regards to the Fishpond cooler specifically. I don't think you would have any trouble at all using that. It's not that big, and doesn't even look like a cooler to be honest. The brown model even less so. I've seen so many backpacks, duffels, and even purses get carried on that were bigger.

Another possibility if you need a cooler at your destination, you could trying to use a large cooler as your checked baggage (if you are going to check any bags that is)

What I've done a couple times is purchased a cheap cooler when I got there and just left it at the hotel or outfitter when I departed. I'll find out if the last cooler we bought is still at the hotel in a few months...

How about a Yeti Hopper Flip?

What are you intending on carrying in the cooler?

I am going to pack my clothes in it. Then I have cooler when i get to my destination.

Ozark Trail (Walmart) makes a Yeti Hopper knock off.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Ozark-Trail-Premium-Jumbo-Tote/188204328

Also available from Amazon
https://www.amazon.com/Ozark-Trail-Premium-Jumbo-Cooler/dp/B01GQZ1QV4

I have had this problem and solved it by buying a cheap foam cooler for like $3 when I arrive at my destination and use that on my trip and just drop it in any recycle bin when I am done with it.

I have also just bought a cheap soft sided cooler and folded it down to fit in my backpack.

I like your idea too, but never needed to travel with anything that nice. I like to pack light, besides beer does not last long in my cooler on vacation, so no need for a Yeti.

FYI. Anything I’ve ever purchased with the Ozark Trail label on it has not been worth the money. IMO.

You probably can find a cooler at Wally World cheap where ever you go. I got one from the last rental car company I used. Plugged into the car output jack. GG

Back