Contact nymphing questions

Andrwhite610

Andrwhite610

I’m a few months in on tight line nymphing and I thought I’d bring some questions here that I have to open up some discussion.

1. When using splitshot sometimes the shot slides up and down my tippet. Is that to be expected? I have a fear that it will cause abrasions on the tippet. Also I am afraid to smash it down hard with my forceps in fear it will cut the tippet. Is there a proper way to apply shot or a solution?

2. Sometimes to get my nymphs down deeper I dip my sighter 4”-5” into the water. Is this ok or should I lengthen my tippet? And if I do lengthen tippet do I need to replace the whole length or can I extend it by adding a length with a blood or surgeons knot? I usually use 3’-4’ of tippet… It just occurred to me perhaps I should use a longer tippet section from the jump to avoid this problem.

3. I plan to use my 10’ 3WT nymphing rod to toss some dry flies with conventional casting and laying fly line on the water. Would I be better off with a standard fly line rather than the euro line I have on? I use a long mono leader and never have fly line out of the guides while nymphing.

4. If I want to fish dry dropper tight line style can I leave my sighter on or should I have a dedicated leader?

5. What are people’s opinion on using a clinch knot connecting leader to the fly line loop? I hear mixed things but would like to use that for speed and ease.

Thanks!!!

...5. What are people’s opinion on using a clinch knot connecting leader to the fly line loop? I hear mixed things but would like to use that for speed and ease.

Thanks!!!

If you are using straight mono leaders, if you add a Perfection Loop, Surgeon's Loop or other loop to the end of your leader you can use a loop to loop connection to attach your leader.

All I use for trout are fly lines with loops and all of my different leader types ALL have loops at the end to facilitate swapping or just attaching leaders.

A regular clinch knot to a fly line loop will eventually cut through the line coating and bugger up the loop.

I will admit Perfection & Surgeon's loops to line loops aren't the smoothest connection through the guides (furled or braided butt leaders are better) but it's not the worst either. What helps a lot is trimming the tag close and then coating the actual loop knot with Loon UV Knot Sense.

This is something you can do in advance at home.

Good luck!!

Last edited:
If you are using straight mono leaders, if you add a Perfection Loop or other loop to the end of your leader you can use a loop to loop connection to attach your leader.

All I use for trout are fly lines with loops and all of my different leader types ALL have loops at the end to facilitate swapping or just attaching leaders.

A regular clinch knot to a fly line loop will eventually cut through the line coating and bugger up the loop.

I will admit Perfection loops to line loops aren't the smoothest connection through the guides (furled or braided butt leaders are better) but it's not the worst either. What helps a lot is trimming the tag close and then coating the actual loop knot with Loon UV Knot Sense.

This is something you can do in advance at home.

Good luck!!
Thanks that sounds good. I want to get one of the orvis dropper cartridge cases so I can be more serious about carrying pre rigged leaders.
IMG 7354

I have one of those pre-rig boxes and love it. Can tie 3 fly rigs in my warm, dry, well lit living room instead of at the creek. Huge advantage in maximizing your actual fishing time.

Answering question 1 - yes, split shot will slide. With that being said, mash it down. I’ve never had it cut tippet. I like Anchor split shot personally.

2. Lengthening the tippet might be better, but I’ve dipped the sighter into the water. 4-5” isn’t that significant.

3. It sounds like you’re using a long leader. So I’d keep the regular fly line on. Switch to your dry leader if that’s the plan or go right dry dropper. I guess it could depend on how big a dry you go with though.

4. If you go tight to the dry I don’t see why you’d need to remove it. I connect my sighter section with tippet rings though so I can easily take it off.

5. I would not clinch it to the perfection loop. I would either make my leader have a perfection loop at the end of my leader. I made a small section of Maxima with a perfection loop that I tie to my line ending in a tippet ring. I then tie my leader to the tippet ring.

Also Loon’s rigging foams are great cheap alternatives to the Orvis box.

I’m a few months in on tight line nymphing and I thought I’d bring some questions here that I have to open up some discussion.

1. When using splitshot sometimes the shot slides up and down my tippet. Is that to be expected? I have a fear that it will cause abrasions on the tippet. Also I am afraid to smash it down hard with my forceps in fear it will cut the tippet. Is there a proper way to apply shot or a solution?

I either use a full blow drop shot rig or put my shot on a knot's tag so that it has no where to go. Tie a knot in the bottom of the tag/dropper to keep it from sliding off if that is a problem. I prefer Black Bird brand shot for most applications and Super Doux for very small sizes. I despise Dinsmore.

2. Sometimes to get my nymphs down deeper I dip my sighter 4”-5” into the water. Is this ok or should I lengthen my tippet? And if I do lengthen tippet do I need to replace the whole length or can I extend it by adding a length with a blood or surgeons knot? I usually use 3’-4’ of tippet… It just occurred to me perhaps I should use a longer tippet section from the jump to avoid this problem.

Adjusting rigs is a fact of life. I usually start long and adjust down... ...then add back when needed.

3. I plan to use my 10’ 3WT nymphing rod to toss some dry flies with conventional casting and laying fly line on the water. Would I be better off with a standard fly line rather than the euro line I have on? I use a long mono leader and never have fly line out of the guides while nymphing.

IMO, if you intend to cast and fish in a traditional manner, yes you need a conventional line. I have not found this to be a great liability when using the same outfit for tight-lining. in fact, I often use a 10' 4wt outfit in this manner when I expect to switch back and forth and don't want to screw around carrying multiple rods. Using a super long leader can completely mitigate any disadvantage to having a regular line spooled on your reel.

4. If I want to fish dry dropper tight line style can I leave my sighter on or should I have a dedicated leader?

Depends on your flies. If your dropper is heavy enough, and/or the dry is small enough you may be able to get way with just using your tightline leader set up. If you intend to cast any distance you probably will be better off swapping out leaders.

5. What are people’s opinion on using a clinch knot connecting leader to the fly line loop? I hear mixed things but would like to use that for speed and ease.
To a welded loop? No. I would not. However, you can make a really small folded and whipped loop from the fly line core and clinch not to that. I do this on several of my lines and it flows through the guides pretty well. About as well as a leader attached with a nail knot. Here is a good instructional video: Micro Loop

I have had no issues with strength or durability of this loop and have used it for a couple years now.

Thanks guys great input.
It seems I’ll keep experimenting with shot.
Definitely gonna put a standard fly line on my reel I use for my 10’ 3WT. Gonna use longer tippet when nymphing. Also soon make up a Orvis rigging box with leaders with perfection loops.

I was hoping this thread was about what happens when two flat brimmers arrive at the same run, with only space for one, at the same time.

Maybe next time.

1. I use split shot a lot. Crush it harder. Use your forceps if you have to. You'll be fine and so will your leader.
2. If you aren't having tons of much deeper water where you have to dip your sighter, then I would not lengthen my tippet. That is just me, though. I am a lazy fisherman. The other day I was on a small stream and I was tight-lining, but I was using my fly line out of the tip, so I was not "euro-nymphing" or running a mono-rig. I did have sighter on made out of gold Stren, though, 10 lb test. I was dipping it in the deeper sections. Yes, I know you want to limit different diameter tippets under the water and the thinner the better, but sometimes you have to improvise with what you have. I would not waste the time to add or delete tippet unless you are going to fish a lot of deep water or for quite a while.
3.If you wanna cast a dry, then a regular fly line is better. Just use a long leader and never have your fly line leave the reel. If you wanna cast dries, put on a regular leader and start casting a normal fly line.
4. It would depend on what your sighter is made out of? Does it float? Is it stiff of flimsy? That is totally up to you.
5. I have never heard of anyone doing this. I tie perfection loops in leaders and do a loop to loop. It is easy, perfection loops are easy, and I have never felt the need to change or thought it was a bad system.

These are my opinions. I am not really a euro-nympher/mono-rig guy, but I have "tightlined" a lot of suitable water with standard leaders and fly line out of my rod tip. I know it isn't the best way to do it, but it is good enough for me. Some sort of sighter helps tremendously, though.

1. I use split shot a lot. Crush it harder. Use your forceps if you have to. You'll be fine and so will your leader.
2. If you aren't having tons of much deeper water where you have to dip your sighter, then I would not lengthen my tippet. That is just me, though. I am a lazy fisherman. The other day I was on a small stream and I was tight-lining, but I was using my fly line out of the tip, so I was not "euro-nymphing" or running a mono-rig. I did have sighter on made out of gold Stren, though, 10 lb test. I was dipping it in the deeper sections. Yes, I know you want to limit different diameter tippets under the water and the thinner the better, but sometimes you have to improvise with what you have. I would not waste the time to add or delete tippet unless you are going to fish a lot of deep water or for quite a while.
3.If you wanna cast a dry, then a regular fly line is better. Just use a long leader and never have your fly line leave the reel. If you wanna cast dries, put on a regular leader and start casting a normal fly line.
4. It would depend on what your sighter is made out of? Does it float? Is it stiff of flimsy? That is totally up to you.
5. I have never heard of anyone doing this. I tie perfection loops in leaders and do a loop to loop. It is easy, perfection loops are easy, and I have never felt the need to change or thought it was a bad system.

These are my opinions. I am not really a euro-nympher/mono-rig guy, but I have "tightlined" a lot of suitable water with standard leaders and fly line out of my rod tip. I know it isn't the best way to do it, but it is good enough for me. Some sort of sighter helps tremendously, though.
All good advice above. There are a kagillion ways to rig and catch fish. Like Josh above, I too experiment and find ways to rig that is both effective as well as versatile. As you fish and move the flow, depth, bugs, etc. change. If you are able to easily (if it aint easy you won't do it) change things up to adapt to changing conditions, you will be more successful overall at the end of the day.

Back