Construction on the Little J

Schaefer406

Schaefer406

A friend sent me this earlier today. I saw this repair work happening a bit ago in the fall but looks like they are building a sediment dam out into the river. I wonder what the impact will be (if any) even though it’s a short term project. I remember talking to the crew in the fall and they were great guys - they even fished on their lunch break
1E554FC0 D56B 4372 AE54 993EEB294E3A

Last edited:
I saw this a few months ago while fishing the spot below this. Looks like this could adversely affect the ability to float the gorge during high water, doesn’t it?

I saw this a few months ago while fishing the spot below this. Looks like this could adversely affect the ability to float the gorge during high water, doesn’t it?
I can't verify from my friend's picture, but I'm pretty sure the man-made sediment path installed in the river stretches across the whole river. Even if it didn't, the primary path guides take during floats is through the center arch, which is completely blocked off. My big area of concern is how the sediment is going to be managed, and how they plan on removing the sediment path without impact. They can't just "let the sediment wash out" after they are done as it may permanently change the river's path/flow, and it will have impacts on aquatic life downstream of the construction (especially trout eggs and aquatic insect life). I filed a "potential complaint" report on the DEP website today to ensure they are doing their due diligence in checking on this project and their permit requirements, and another member messaged me that they are forwarding the concerns to the PAFBC regional office in the area.

Realistically, I'm sure these guys have the proper permits and are operating within their guidelines, but it's our duty as outdoorsmen to voice concerns over items like this.

Please let us know if you hear back from DEP. While most projects like that are permitted and monitored it is amazing how many projects do not follow the construction sequences or maintain their "controls" for erosion and sediment. Hopefully this is a well run project with no adverse affects.

Please let us know if you hear back from DEP. While most projects like that are permitted and monitored it is amazing how many projects do not follow the construction sequences or maintain their "controls" for erosion and sediment. Hopefully this is a well run project with no adverse affects.
Reporting back - Fantastic gentlemen from the DEP named John gave me a call back. The permitting process was conducted correctly and they abided by construction start dates on the permit to interfere as little as possible with trout spawning. The encroachment permit for the sediment fill was properly followed as well. He noted that the PAFBC may be taking a stop out there just to check on the activities and see if there is anything that needs addressed. Obviously this will have a small impact - but not anything notable IMO. Always good for us to check in on situations like this to bring things to light since the DEP has a lot to look after.

There are many eyes on the J. Any construction activity would be observed within hours and would be checked into , most likely by the LJRA. It’s good to have concerned folks , but better that you took some sorta action. so I applaud you checking into. Streams never have enough friends - except when I want to fish, hee hee.

Looking at the tunnel in the background, I assume this is the upper gorge bridge.

They did the same thing last year on the trestle just below the Tyrone sewage treatment plant - putting arch forms in, and filling with concrete to strengthen the bridge
It browned the water up for quite a way downstream to at least Irish Flat, while they were working during the day.
But no major disruptions that I can recall

Back