Considering buying a Hydros

mystillwater

mystillwater

I'm thinking about buying an Orvis Hydros rod. probably a 4 or 5 wt. i have casted it and really like it but are there other rods in that price range that i should be trying?

I'd buy a plane ticket and take my reasonably priced rod someplace really cool. But that's just me.

clever but doesn't help me out much. thanks anyway tom! :)

i would suggest the power matrix , i just got one and i love it !

fyi...

http://www.paflyfish.com/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=13688&forum=3&post_id=175390#forumpost175390

I have a hydros 9' 5wt...nice rod you will enjoy fishing it...hurry up though you get a free reel if you purchase by the 31st. With the free reel I would buy the hydros over other rods in the same price range...can't beat a $250 reel for free

Troutslammer, which action TLS did you get, mid-flex or tip-flex?. I just ordered one to use on larger streams and rivers so went with a tip-flex 5 wt.

mystillwater wrote:
I'm thinking about buying an Orvis Hydros rod. probably a 4 or 5 wt. i have casted it and really like it but are there other rods in that price range that i should be trying?

Since you're from Chester County, my best suggestion is to take a short ride to TCO in Bryn Mawr. You can test cast the Orvis, Sage, Winston, and TFO rods side-by-side and make a decision from there.

http://www.tcoflyfishing.com/TCO_Fly_Fishing_L2_Department.cfm?cat=Fly%20Rods

Good luck.

i went with mid flex all the way , tip flex will protect light tippet better but i can cast better and further with a mid flex

Actually it's the other way around...the mid flex will protect your tippet more than the tip flex but you will get more power and tighter loops with the tip flex which means more distance.

afishinado wrote:
mystillwater wrote:

Since you're from Chester County, my best suggestion is to take a short ride to TCO in Bryn Mawr. You can test cast the Orvis, Sage, Winston, and TFO rods side-by-side and make a decision from there.

http://www.tcoflyfishing.com/TCO_Fly_Fishing_L2_Department.cfm?cat=Fly%20Rods

Good luck.

I second the advice above if your going to spend 5 plus on a rod cast as many as you can before making a decision if the rod doesn't feel like a gift from god in your hands when you cast it both short and long distances than hold out until you find one
;-)

when the tip flexes its softer and protects the tippet (it gives so to speak )better than a mid flex which flexs further down the rod ! the flex is all in what u like i guess

Actually the tip flex is a much stiffer rod which only bends towards the tip...the mid and full flex bend further down the rod (the more flex the slower the action) which puts less stress on your leader and tippet. Orvis has a very nice flex index that explains a lot of the pro's and con's for each but your right in the end it's personal preference.

i was always under the impression that a tip flex rod will give more out at the tip so when u set the hook with fine tippets it absorbs the shock more but after further investigating i see were a slow action does the job better

The tip flex has more backbone, and will snap a tippet easier. I think the effect is greatly exaggerated by soft rod enthusiasts. The mid flex label just means that the flex travels farther down the rod, toward the midpoint. The tip's soft on both, but the backbone is softer on the mid flex. It's just a slower rod. The TLS I had did have some power though. I only felt undergunned with it out west and on larger pools on big PA streams. I still miss that rod on valley creek and during terrestrial time.

TS,

I had and sold my mid flex TLS power matrix. 8.5' 5wt. It was a sweet rod, but I just liked my loomis better. I'd bring the TLS when I expected dry fly action, but the loomis grew on me for that too. In a pinch, I had to sell it... but I know it has a good home. :)

It's a sweet rod, and if I can get my hands on a shorter 4wt version cheap, I'd love to have one back in my arsenal.

Back