Conservation Group Looks to Tackle Moshannon Creek

The stream is called "The Red Mo" locally.

If they clean it up, the name will have to be changed.

I suggest: "The Stream Formerly Known As The Red Mo."

Forget the name change... What will Otto's do about the beer formally known as Red Mo? It was named after it, just as Black Mo stout was named after Black moshannon.

Badly needed. It is sad to see beautiful six mile run disappear into that mess. The stream has potential if the AMD is remediated.

I think the red Mo could become one of the best streams in the state. Is has gorgeous water. Not sure how cool it stays but hopefully cool enough. It could easily be as famous as Penns, Little J, etc. And I'd go the other way. Let's formally change the name to "Red Mo" and have it forever remembered as such.

I'm glad to see this article and hope that there's enough enthusiasm to get real progress accomplished in that area. I did a bridge inspection on one of the larger roadways that crosses it a few years ago, wading around checking out the abutments, and it was disheartening to see how completely lifeless it was. Looking on the maps it has miles and miles of wild looking terrain and I'm sure at that elevation it could stay cold enough, at the very least it would have cold tribs for refuge. Like jifigz says above, it is beautiful up there and would become a destination stream. I hope to see it happen one day.

sarce wrote:
I'm glad to see this article and hope that there's enough enthusiasm to get real progress accomplished in that area. I did a bridge inspection on one of the larger roadways that crosses it a few years ago, wading around checking out the abutments, and it was disheartening to see how completely lifeless it was. Looking on the maps it has miles and miles of wild looking terrain and I'm sure at that elevation it could stay cold enough, at the very least it would have cold tribs for refuge. Like jifigz says above, it is beautiful up there and would become a destination stream. I hope to see it happen one day.

The one thing I can add, is the Lackawanna River was a joke when I was growing up in NE PA, spewing its orange water and raw sewage into the Susky. Years later it has become an unbelievable Class A trout fishery.

While I'm not really familiar with the "Mo", it sounds like it has a lot more going for it and has great potential to become something special if it's taken care of and its problems are remediated.

Back