Conodoguinet Creek

scs_browntrout

scs_browntrout

Looking to fish a new creek anybody fish it before looks like it runs into the susquehanna river along rt 15.

scs_browntrout wrote:
looks like it runs into the susquehanna river along rt 15.

Correct. (Technically that would be RT 11/15).

"Connie" is one of my favorites but be aware that it is quite large by PA creek standards and is a warm water fishery this time of year. It has good bass fishing - the fish are large but you will need to do your homework to find them as much of the creek lacks habitat and is shallow gravel. There are also muskies, carp, channel cats (the catties appear in summer) and lots of big fallfish.

Be careful with wading as the creek has ledge rock bottom in many areas. This time of year it is popular with yakkers and tubers so I recommend fishing mornings and weekdays if possible.

To begin your exploring, check for bridges and local parks for access. There are also PFBC boat ramps and access areas that support a state canoe trail.

Connie is a fun small river... but takes awhile to figure out. It still has me scratching my head after fishing it for many years.

Dave_W any trout in there thats what my tackle is prepared for.

Upstream of Letterkenny Reservoir it is stocked. You might find some trout at the mouths of some spring creek feeders: Letort, Silver Spring, Hogestown Run.

scs_browntrout wrote:
Dave_W any trout in there thats what my tackle is prepared for.

No - not in the section you're thinking about.

There are wild browns that use the creek on a seasonal basis but this is a specialty fishery and much harder to figure out than the summer bass fishery. The locals who target these trout are very tight lipped and protective of them.

My recommendation, for what it's worth, is that if you're looking to explore trout streams that you scratch Connie off your list and go elsewhere. Or go up in the mountains and focus on the STW section that salvelinus refers to in the above post. The section of the creek I'm referring to is the main river down in the valley.

There are also both wild browns and brookies in the Upper Connie. I used to live in the Chambersburg area and know it well. Being you are from Camp Hill, that's a little bit of a haul for spotty fishing. Have you tried Sherman's Creek in Perry County? Were I you, I'd be exploring that one. There are two different trout fisheries on that stream. I'll leave it at that.

You will find trout in the Connie during summer for several hundred yards below the mouths of limestone springs such as Green Spring, Big Spring and Letort. The temp difference is very noticeable when wet wading.

The upper Connie is a real gem. Some friends and I had a hunting camp bordering SGL 76 for many years. Good hatches, lots of trout and very few fishermen after the first couple weeks of the season. It can get low during the summer months, but fishes really well after a heavy rain.

Some friends and I had a cabin bordering SGL 76 for many years. It tends to get very low during the summer, but af

salvelinus thank you!

Sherman's Creek is one of my favorite canoe trips. I never really fished it though. I think it is all private land which would make access difficult.

Good places to start looking for wild trout in tribs to Shermans are Schaefer and Laurel Runs. In fact, I think Schaeffer has improved since I participated in the late 1970’s survey.

Back