Connections

JG63

JG63

Makin' some leader connectors today as I don't care much for "Factory Welded Loops". For floating lines, I use Sunset Amnesia 30# to add visibility. A simple perfection loop nail knotted to your fly line works great. I'm experimenting with Loon Knot Sense on both knots. Results are satisfactory.

Amnesia glowing under the UV lamp:

2FA00AAD-02CC-4F9B-BE4E-CFA61F89A807.jpg

Coated nail knot and perfection loop attached to an old Buckskin SA Air Cell Ultra WF5F:

962C7263-0C9D-4EFE-A315-1CD5D2280166.jpg

Finished "Product Shot":

4E8DE3FE-6539-4A5A-983A-9C7DDB900F9E.jpg

Maybe I'll see some of you out there this season! JG

Nothing new with what you're doing. Used to do it that way myself then they started making fly lines with factory welded loops.....

Looks good. What is the length of the Amnesia section? 30# too much for 4 wt. line? Thanks

Didn't claim to be new - been doing this method since 1985 or so. As mentioned in the original post, the Loon product is what is new for me here. FWIW, I trust my knots more than the factory loops. About 2 inches is good. I can tie them closer to the fly line end but you lose some visibility during the cast with less Amnesia section. Arguing semantics is for the birds -

I've been using the Loon UV knot sense for awhile for applications like this. I like it.

Thanks JG. Always good to hear a suggestion weather it's new or old. Some of us are not up to speed as are some others. A good tip is worth the danger of repeating. Be well!

Factory welded loops don't last forever. Sandfly did a repair on one of my lines.

I've used Loon Knot Sense a lot and like it. Only issue is that what is in the tube ages and in about six months it wouldn't get hard, just somewhat gummy.

Only issue is that what is in the tube ages and in about six months it wouldn't get hard, just somewhat gummy.

That's what she said.

Good tip. I have line with a welded loop that needs some attention. Im going to give the knotsense a try

Very useful for fly tying as well. (And I've used for some equipment repairs.)

Welded loops are good to go these days. I use them until they wear out and then I do the same as shown here.

I cut the welded loops off and tie a nail knot with mono and then a perfection loop 4" from end of line. coat with goop

Never had a problem with a welded loop. So if it ain't broke I don't fix it.

Back