conforming to the dark side

ryguyfi

ryguyfi

well... I finally did it. I bought my first medalist and fiberglass rod the other day and it just came in. Medalist looks great, has original line on it and guy said he used it for about 10 days and that was it. The glass rod is not exactly what I was looking for but I'm sure I can find a use for it. Bid on it because of the "dry fly" rod as I wanted to find a specalty rod for dry flies. But after some research it's rated at about a 7wt and a bit on the heavy side... may try to catch some steel on both in the fall :-D.

DSCF1688.jpg

DSCF1687.jpg

The cheapskate introduction to glass is the Eagle Claw Featherlight. $20. That 1961-1965 1494 will sit nicely on the end of the 6'6" or 7' model with a 4dt or 5wf line.

Enjoy your new found obsession. Don't snipe my auctions. ;)

It seems most of the glass I see that is under $50 is all higher weight rods. I guess I need to search harder before I bid again.

Can't we all just get along?? :)

ryguyfi wrote:
It seems most of the glass I see that is under $50 is all higher weight rods. I guess I need to search harder before I bid again.

Can't we all just get along?? :)

No. Not when it comes to the Medalist. I only want round line guard models, though. I'm not a completist and I've got the other ones covered. You're safe on the rods, though. The next one I own I'll make myself.

Watch the classifieds at http://fiberglassflyrodders.yuku.com/ for decent rod deals.

I've also seemed ot have learned that light weight glass rods are evidently really light weight. I bought a 3/4 that's basically a full flexing noodle with a 4.5wff on it. A slim 4dt carries just about right, but it still feels worlds lighter than the 3wt or 4wt graphite rods I own. The 7' 5/6 EC is, honestly, just about sublime at anything less than 40', especially considering its $20 price tag.

try that conolon anyway.it might work with a six,or even a five weight.glass and bamboo can be easier to use with multiple weights than graphite.in any event it will make a great steel,bass and light salt rod that you won't have to worry too much about.

also,the fight on a six weight glass rod is similar to the fight on say,a four weight graphite.there's more give.

and keep your eyes open for lower weight rods,there's lots of glass for under $50.i got a four weight eight footer for $1.99.

welcome to the club.

back when that rod was made, 7wt was a mid-weight rod. there were very few makers building 4 wt's, let alone 3wts.
like shakey said, try it with a 6wt. glass is very versitile regarding line weights you can use. just have to find the one that YOU like on the rod.
probably be a great bass rod and for throwing streamers for trout! oh yeah, I guess you could try to get a steelhead to bite a fly that you just cast with that thing!LOL!!
just remember, ya gotta slow down your casting stroke. the rod will let you know what it likes.

After doing a lot more research I think my next purchase is going to be a fenwick. I'm particularly looking for an FF79, FF84, FF83, FF805, or FF855. Basically a 5wt in 8' to 8'6". If anyone has one of these and would be willing to sell it, I'd be interested.

Was bidding on one and lost it last night on Ebay. Got too pricey.

p.s. sweet little site on Fenwick history of rods...

http://fiberglass-fly-rods.pbworks.com/w/page/5182977/Fenwick

On another note, I was in International Angler yesterday and a mother with her 2 teenage boys came in with all these vintage rods. They were handed down to the boys from either a grandfather or an elderly friend of the family who couldn't use them anymore. There was atleast 7-8 rods. I saw a sweet fenwick I tried to get a price for but she wasn't interested in selling. A few needed repairs so she was in for that and just to ask questions as to what they were.

From my prospective there was a 7.5' fenwick
2-3 Spey rods, looked like 2 were bamboo.
about 2-3 other old glass rods
and 2 smaller bamboo rods.

Overall it was a very sweet little jackpot she fell into. That's just something we here dream about.

ryguyfi wrote:
After doing a lot more research I think my next purchase is going to be a fenwick. I'm particularly looking for an FF79, FF84, FF83, FF805, or FF855. Basically a 5wt in 8' to 8'6". If anyone has one of these and would be willing to sell it, I'd be interested.

Was bidding on one and lost it last night on Ebay. Got too pricey.

Yeah, did it happen to be an FF85...?

Anyways, you won't find a reasonable FF83, that I'm sure of. Evidently, they're exceedingly rare, and unless you're a collector, meh. Have you looked at the Steffen rods? They're new manufacture, and highly regarded.

I say that because "got too pricey" seems to be par for the Fenglass course.

postscript: can i brag about my 1938 Pflueger 1496 here, though? Round line guard, non-reversable 2/16 drag, and sculpted pillars? Sweet, except I have to use the dumb hand to wind it.

It was an FF84. Looked good but went for about $110 with shipping... not looking to spend that much.

Your best bet is going to be patrolling second hand shops, craigslist, and yard sales.

Yep that's the plan once the weather warms up a bit. It'll be tough to find anything in my area, don't think there are many fly fishermen, but it's worth a shot.

I know the ff83's are very rare, but you never know.

Dear ryguyfi,

Your avatar says you are from Patterson Twp, if that is the one in Centre Co. you might want to keep your eyes and ears open for the annual yard sale they hold in Centre Hall.

While I never stopped to peruse the goods I have passed by on yard sale Saturday and have seen numerous rod tubes leaning up against tables.

I've scored a couple of very nice Shakespeare and Fenwick glass rods from ebay, each for under $ 50.00. The one Shakespeare was never out of the heavy plastic rod bag it was sold in. Yeah, it's an 8 1/2 foot 7 weight, but it works nice in the float tube.

I finally got my old first good fly rod back from my brother. It's a 7 1/2 foot 5 weight Sceptre, not a Hardy Sceptre though, that I bought from Steve Sywensky at FFP when they were running the shop in a 8 X 16 room at the Lemont PO in 1978.

I caught a fish the first time I used it again, and it seems to work a little better with age.

Regards,

Tim Murphy :)

You don't have a problem 'till you start buying glass made within the last 10 years...

Yep that's the plan once the weather warms up a bit. It'll be tough to find anything in my area, don't think there are many fly fishermen, but it's worth a shot.

There's lots of old FF stuff in this area, you just gotta get there before bikerfish.

ha ha, good luck with that!! actually, I'll keep an eye out for a fenwick for you. I picked up a mint unused ff756 last year, so there are fenwicks out there, but they have such a cult following that the prices do get up there.
another wonderful rod that can be had at a decent price is a phillipson, which many consider to be one of the best fiberglass rods made.

What do you mean considered the best I know Phillipson is the best! LOL.

I know there's also Phillipson made rods under other names, including LL Bean Double Ls.

gfen wrote:

I know there's also Phillipson made rods under other names, including LL Bean Double Ls.

There are a lot of Orvis glass rods that are Phillipsons too. The ferrules and the guide spacing near the ferrules are dead giveaways of Phillipsons.

Kev

The fiber glass guys will be at Jonas Prices shop (feathered Hook) this weekend. My buddy is going. great place to buy the rod and reel you are looking for.lots of glass will be there.

Thanks for all the advise guys. I live about 45 min due north of Pittsburgh. The black hole of trout fishing in PA lol. I'll be driving around for appointments for work this spring and summer with my eyes peeled for yard sales... hopefully I'll get lucky.

I'll check out the Phillipsons' too.

Back