Conewago Keystone select report.

JimKennedy

JimKennedy

April 7, overcast, air temperature in the 50s; water low, clear and pretty darn cold.

No bugs on the water, trout glued to the bottom.

Not much in the way of obvious fish feeding. Mainly they were in the deepest parts of the deepest pools, and were picking up nymphs fished deep. I hooked four, and landed two. One of the ones that got off was a solid fish. Other three were 9 inchers, and In pretty rough shape, even compared to typical hatchery fish. Far too ugly for posting pictures.

One had a fresh bird injury, so I think those that remain in the creek are the ones that wised up to birds early on after being stocked. Say what you will about the impact of poaching, a few great blue herons can put a hurting on stocked trout in a shallow meat hole like Conewago.

I did see a few of those keystone select bruisers, 4 to 5 pounders easily, and got one to chase a pink bead head, but they were especially skittish because a lot of dudes were doing the same thing as me.

It was nice to get out for a few hours and refine my tight line technique in a slow flow creek over a few easy catch stockers.

And I got to listen to the last part of the orioles home opener win over the Yankees. That Felix Bautista is a Marvel superhero.

Last edited:
Conewago is not a Keystone Select stream. Those larger fish are stocked by a TU club. The creek is desperately in need of water. The fishing has not been good and the stream has been hammered since the big fish were stocked.

Last edited:
It was quite low, Joe Bamboo. I’m guessing the TU chapter is doing the streambed improvements too. They seem like the only thing holding the creek together. We definitely could use a bit of rain now that the trees are sucking the ground dry.

Conewago is not a Keystone Select stream. Those larger fish are stocked by a TU club. The creek is desperately in need of water.
As are most of the streams in Penna. We need an all day soaker throughout the state, which we probably won't see any time soon. It's concerning.

Back