Conewago habitat work

B

blitzinstripes

Fished the Conewago on Monday evening. First time back in a couple of years. I was pleasantly surprised to see some new stream improvements. I know she's a marginal stream with limited potential but the work being done is admirable. It's a shame it sees so much pressure, though. For a stream that was just stocked a week earlier the boot tracks looked like the Macy's parade had passed through there and the trout responded appropriately with the hesitancy I expected. I never really understood the appeal of this particular stream when there are so many better streams close by. And I can't ever recall catching any wild fish in this area. I would be surprised see any reproduction at all much below Arendtsville. I noticed a very large rock pile of limestone boulders of various sizes close to the trailhead so it looks like there is some more improvements being planned. 🙂

The Conewago, other than the Yellow Breeches, is the only catch and release streams in the area and thus gets a lot of pressure. I too fished it on Monday and noticed the multitude of foot traffic. It surely is getting hammered!

I usually fish it once or twice a year and was pleasantly surprised by the new structure I saw this time around. The local TU chapter does a lot of work there.

I fished it a week after its stocking and saw the same. Didn’t see a fish either, not in any of the usual spots they put them in at least.

I have never caught a wild trout from there, I suppose it gets too warm and low in the summer anyway to support it.

I was recently speaking with a gentleman who is very familiar with the stream. Apparently it did get surveyed sometime in the past couple of years. According to him, they found 1 small wild brown. Definitely marginal by the time it gets down to the area they are doing all the work. I would love to see what the narrows could be if it was left to it’s own devices.

Just for clarity’s sake, the Narrows is still posted tight by a club right?

I believe there are a FEW small sections where you can get access. One of the campgrounds comes to mind, but primarily it's is heavily posted water.

I usually fish it once or twice a year and was pleasantly surprised by the new structure I saw this time around. The local TU chapter does a lot of work there.

I fished it a week after its stocking and saw the same. Didn’t see a fish either, not in any of the usual spots they put them in at least.

I have never caught a wild trout from there, I suppose it gets too warm and low in the summer anyway to support it.
I know a few years ago there was a massive poaching problem too. A few days after they stocked you would find corn and power bait jars on the banks and the fish would start disappearing. It may still be that way.

I have fished Conewago since I was a kid in the 70s and I helped build some of the projects in the FF section back in the 80s/90s. Adams TU is a good organization and has done some stellar work with access and easements.

I think the creek has improved and I see more wild trout than ever in the past. However, they're still spotty and generally rare and the stream should not be understood as having significant fishing for wild trout. It just gets too warm. It used to really get hammered in the pre-season as the FFO was heavily stocked. I see fewer anglers on it these days (as is the case on most of the streams in my neck of the woods).

It's my understanding that the last stocking did not include the entire C&R section. They started at the usual Russell Tavern bridge but did not go all the way down to Rt34. The water below the picnic pavilion is pretty much fish free,.

I heard a vendor at the Lancaster Show telling someone about the incredible wild browns and giant rainbows on the stretch they have access to.

I heard a vendor at the Lancaster Show telling someone about the incredible wild browns and giant rainbows on the stretch they have access to.

Yeah. Thanks for the responses. That’s a stretch of water I’d like to fish, but likely never will.

Never fished it, would love to try it one day but more than likely won’t unless it gets opened to the public. A very “fishy” stretch of water for sure.

Yeah. Thanks for the responses. That’s a stretch of water I’d like to fish, but likely never will.
Is this something that could be canoed or kayaked? Or is that a no go? I’m not familiar with the creek size or legal floatability.

Is this something that could be canoed or kayaked? Or is that a no go? I’m not familiar with the creek size or legal floatability.

It’s not very big water up there. In high enough flows, maybe, but I wouldn’t even consider trying it. You’re talking a stream maybe 25-40 feet wide. It’d need to be basically blown out to float it.

Plus, generally clubs don’t like people floating through their water (even if you’re not touching bottom), and I don’t want, or need, the conflict. Plenty of other places to fish.

Ok thanks, like I said I wasn’t familiar with the details of this watershed. I’ll definitely agree about not wanting/needing the conflict. I like my floats to be relaxing and as stress free as possible.

Yeah if you’re trying to avoid conflict, you should definitely skip the narrows. That is the most “posted and patrolled” stream section I might have ever seen.

It's my understanding that the last stocking did not include the entire C&R section. They started at the usual Russell Tavern bridge but did not go all the way down to Rt34. The water below the picnic pavilion is pretty much fish free,.
Any reason they didn't stock the entire section?

Yeah if you’re trying to avoid conflict, you should definitely skip the narrows. That is the most “posted and patrolled” stream section I might have ever seen.

Yeah. That was my recollection from the last time I drove through there. I’m not sure they missed a single tree with a sign. Up there with Antes and some of the club waters in the Poconos in terms of “we double dare you to try it” type of posting.

Any reason they didn't stock the entire section?
I have no idea and neither did anyone else I spoke with. It was a state stocking so someone from there should have an answer. Not sure which hatchery fish came from. My guess would be Huntsdale.

Back