coneheads

ryguyfi

ryguyfi

Just bought a few different sizes of coneheads today. Never used them before but figured I'd try them out. Do you guys just use them as a substitute for a bead, or for specific reasons? Just curious.

Ryan

(Jay, I'm gonna tie up a few slumpbusters)

I use coneheads on my buggers and leech patterns in place of a bead. I will still use the standard bead on buggers on occasion, but with the leech, I strictly use coneheads.

I use them in front of the hook on tippet sometimes, just carry a few in your vest. other wise I tie them in at front of hook

Be careful casting those things! More than one rod tip has been lost to the conehead bugger. I almost lost an ear to one when the cast dropped low and nicked me.

I was actually surprised when I tied a few up... expected them to be a bit heavier... I guess I was expecting a bullet sinker lol.

Ryan- one of my favorite bugger patterns for Neshannock is a conehead with olive body & black tail and hackle. The fish like em! They seem to do pretty good in Erie for Steelies too.

"I use them in front of the hook on tippet sometimes, just carry a few in your vest. other wise I tie them in at front." - Sandfly

Care to elaborate? Are you using it for weight, flash?

I've fished coneheaded buggers and bunny leaches with success for trout and a few bass.

For weight and extra flash. I also covers the eye of the hook nicely. got a streamer that needs to get down add a conehead, different sizes for different depths.

I tried this years ago and thought it slid around too much. From my eyes the conehead looks too big and unnatural though the fish seem to like it fine. Always wanted to try bead head bugger vs. conehead and see which wins.
Jay P

I use black ones when I think a bead looks goofy. They serve the same purpose. They are just a little more aesthetically pleasing. Not sure the fish care but I do.

Ok, no one else has done it....

Attachments

• coneheads.jpg
    coneheads.jpg
    57.9 KB · Views: 3
sandfly wrote:
For weight and extra flash. I also covers the eye of the hook nicely. got a streamer that needs to get down add a conehead, different sizes for different depths.

Is that a Carolina rig or a Texas rig Bob? :-D

"I tried this years ago and thought it slid around too much. From my eyes the conehead looks too big and unnatural though the fish seem to like it fine. Always wanted to try bead head bugger vs. conehead and see which wins. "

If you have that problem, and the conehead is moving down towards the shank, I slide a few wraps of lead free round wire (.020., though would vary w/different conehead)under the conehead, which makes the conehead stay in place (and also the wraps are invisible).

I've done this and it works great for bass. The motion of the head sinking, while stripping is awesome!

If you have that problem, and the conehead is moving down towards the shank, I slide a few wraps of lead free round wire (.020., though would vary w/different conehead)under the conehead, which makes the conehead stay in place (and also the wraps are invisible).

That's exactly how I do it and it works very well.

Pin it right at the eye maurice, carolina I guess. works don't knock it..

Back