Cone head matuka

jeremymcon

jeremymcon

I picked up a grizzly hen set from Collins hackle farm recently, and used the saddle to tie up a couple of matuka streamers. I tied them on a #8 3x long hook with a brass cone head. The looked ok to me, but I tried to fish one the other day, and instead of swimming with the wing up, it swam sideways in the water. I used a somewhat lighter color for the body of the fly, thinking that it would imitate the coloration of a baitfish, but swimming sideways I feel like the fly just doesn't look right.

Has anyone else had this problem? I'm thinking that maybe the cone is too heavy for the hook?

I've done beads but not cones....not sure why it swam sideways..
Not to be obtuse (but I will) what was the current like?
It'll probably still catch fish.

this_thread_is_worthless_without_pics.gif

My experience with matukas is very limited. Can't say for sure but I wonder if you shorten the tail up it may help the fly swim upright. That tail looks too long to me.

McSneek wrote:
My experience with matukas is very limited. Can't say for sure but I wonder if you shorten the tail up it may help the fly swim upright. That tail looks too long to me.

+1^ also maybe hook size 1x longer.

GenCon

From the top view I would say you are just not centered with the body or tail.

Shorten the tail to about 1 or at most 1.5 hook length...and make sure the stripped part of the feather ends just at te end old the tie in...

Tails too long and the whole fly is off center, but I'm thinking it might not mater, because swimming on it's side may make it look more like a baitfish in trouble.

I'm no matuka expert but that fly looks allot like a deciever and we all know they catch fish

Back