cone head black nose dace

mutzinbaugh

mutzinbaugh

i have spent 2 evenings trying different ideas to "finish" this streamer. i am trying to figure out what to use to fill the gap between the bucktail and the cone head. any ideas? i don't know how to upload pictures or i would show you what i am trying to explain.

You might want to try to fill that gap with some brown (or whatever color you like best) ice dub dubbing. It gives a pretty good look with a little bit of sparkle. Just fill the gap with the dubbing and tie off with a whip finish right behind the conehead.

Sounds like your cone is too big. Try using one that is about the size of a normal head of thread. And maybe throw a wrap of wool dubbing. between the cone and the bucktail.

Personally I would forgo the cone and just fish it with a large shot up the leader, this will give the streamer a more natural drift and strip if its not dipping in the front on every pause. IMO

i tried dubbing and soft hackle but something still didn't seem right. actually the cone is a bit to small for the hook i am using. i actually have to bend the shank of the hook to get the cone on...kind of has a bit of a smaller gap in the hook. i was thinking about keeping my wrapping around the buck tail slim, this way i can slide the cone back and it will cover the thread nice. the only thing left to do is wrap thread between the cone and the eye to keep it from sliding up to the eye.

i never tried to spin deer hair behind the cone, kind of rabbit hair streamer style. it could be tapered to blend in with the buck tail.

the deal with the cone that i am looking to achieve is durability. if i can't catch 10-15 trout on one fly i take a step back and try to figure out a way to make them last longer.

Senyo's Lazer Dub.

I still tie and use the original without the cone for the reasons Maurice mentions.
For a conehead style, you could try a black/brown/white version of this:
http://forums.fishusa.com/tm.aspx?high=&m=261008&mpage=1#261008

wow...senyo's lazer dub looks like some good stuff. didn't even know it existed.

the link to the polar fiber streamer is awesome.

i guess if you don't ask you will never find out or learn any thing new. thanks guys!

Maurice wrote:
Sounds like your cone is too big. Try using one that is about the size of a normal head of thread. And maybe throw a wrap of wool dubbing. between the cone and the bucktail.

Personally I would forgo the cone and just fish it with a large shot up the leader, this will give the streamer a more natural drift and strip if its not dipping in the front on every pause. IMO

what is imo?

Hoenstly... If wanted to add head weight to a BND or other traditional streamer pattern, I'd probably look at using a modern product like the "Fish Skull". You can slide it over the hook eye which makes life a whole lot simpler.

http://flymenfishingcompany.org/products/fish-skull-products/fish-skull/

I have to agree with Maurice's assessment of anchoring some shot up the leader to give more effect to the fly. To each his own however.

Another option would be to tie it on a tube.
Just slide on the cone and melt the tube.

I've also tried weighting these different ways...lead wraps and lead eyes but never really got to far with it. This has been a go-to topwater/unweighted streamer for me, so that probably limited my experiments with weight...
That fish skull stuff does work well...it has a lot of weight, I put it on a scale and it was twice as heavy as lead eyes. It works well on rabbit strip streamers

Back