Computer Expert Needed!

P

ponner1us

Hi Guys,
Sorry if this doesn't belong here, please move if need be, but I thought it would get the most views here.

I cannot get this website to load from my home pc, I put in the web address but the page won't load, all I get is a blank page, I've cleared my cache, my dns, reset my modem (wifi but had this issue before with regular modem), etc... So last night I figured I would just check out the site with my iPhone, and the same thing happened, nothing loaded just a blank page but it does show www.paflyfish.com in the web address browser.

So, long story short, I guess I've narrowed it down to the modem/connection since I can log in at work with both laptop and phone.

Any thoughts on this?

Clearly a hammer should be used in this situation.

Sorry I am no help.

Agreed, a hammer, or even better yet, a sledgehammer, should fix the problem.

Hmm. I dunno. The only time I've ever had that happen was at a hotel in Switzerland. Same PC worked just fine in France. But it was that exact same thing that happened. White page only, while the tab showed the correct address and had the little drawing of a fly.

I'm not a computer expert by any stretch.

I figured it was the server and how they change in various countries. For instance if I went to google there was google switzerland, google france, etc, and it knew where I was from the server. Just thought maybe the website and the Swiss servers were not on a first name basis....

But it could have been the local wifi itself.

Does the iphone work in other locations? i.e. off the network, or on wifi in restaurants? If so, that shows it has nothing to do with your PC or phone, and is upstream of there.

I have fixed many a computer issues just by having the person plug their computer in.

If you have a filter of somekind between wall jack and modem remove it and see if the issue is resolved. Try reseting the modem by turning it off and wading 15 seconds then turn it back on. sometimes this will reset it. Some have a reset button on them...if so make sure the green light comes on in the center of the modem. If it is verizon - you can have a tech come out and review all connections including those from the street block box.

Sometimes our wifi does not pick up the signal - reason unknown - so I have to reset my system several times for it to work.

I have no idea if this will work but I can tell you it is what I had to do to get my work website to appear on my computer. First, are you using IE 10 or 11? If so, try adding this website to the "Compatibility" View.

Operating system? As Becker stated, a hammer will fix IE 7 through IE 11. Does it only happen on PAFF?

I'd try pulling power from modem for 15 seconds. Plug in and power on. Modem should cycle through and the light will begin flashing. You can check connectivity internet speed to make sure it's connected. Run connection wizard / trouble shooter. Compatibility view is a good suggestion if you are using new IE update. You canalso download Firefox and use it instead of IE. Option 2, open beer and surf using phone.

The biggest questions and answers involve the manner of connecting to this thing we call the internet.
What is your IP route? Is it a known standard or a secondary carrier? Are you spoofing your IP address? Did you set a dedicated DNS Service or going off default? Did you do anything correlated in time with the issue, such as downloading software, upgrading software, designating dedicated ports for communications, etc. etc.?

More information from you may lead to a helpful answer.

If a hammer doesn't fix it, then what you have there is an electrical problem.

if you use frontier they were down most of the day. all mine did that till later in day

DaveS wrote:
If a hammer doesn't fix it, then what you have there is an electrical problem.

Lol And probably a modem problem then.

Try , shutting down your pc., all the way. then turning your modem and router off then wait 30 seconds, then turn on the modem and router then turn on the pc.
This is a long shot but I've seen it work sometimes.

Some guys on here have just the opposite problem.... It won't leave their computers, it's just stuck there all the time.

If it's a modem or router problem you can search for a forum that helps people with those issues.

In the past I've used Netgear and Belkin forums.

One time I had a problem with my Dell laptop and used Dell's forum. They recognized the problem as a software issue and sent me to an appropriate forum. Members of these forums are very willing to help for free.

Make sure wondows and IE have the latest updates and that you anti virus software are updated.
Also if re-booting you modem doesn't clear the issue, try turning off the modem, disconnecting the power and the internet connection, wait a minute and re-connect everything and power on the modem. If there is a wireless router also, make sure you re-boot that.
If this doesn't work, try plugging in directly to the modem, sometimes a wireless router is the issue and by eliminating that device you can isolate the issue.
Also make sure your wireless router settings are correct for your provider.

The signal to noise ratio on this thread is fatally low.
Command line utilities like ping and traceroute are often helpful to separate the wheat from the chaff.

shortrod2 wrote:
The signal to noise ratio on this thread is fatally low.
Command line utilities like ping and traceroute are often helpful to separate the wheat from the chaff.

Will they tell me if I am spoofing my IP?

I usually try to get my IP spoofed by someone else.

To actually try to be helpful to the OP, can you answer these questions:

1) Are you able to access other websites or is it just PAFF that does not work?

2) Can you do the following:
Open Start Menu, where it says Search programs and files, type "cmd", without the quotes. Then type "nslookup www.paflyfish.com", without the quotes. What does it return?

Back