Comparadun Wing Tying Style

S

shultzy501

I'm finally back to my tying table for the winter and am going to tie some comparaduns, but I have a question about tying the wing. I usually tie it with the points of the hair facing forward and lift the hair. I find I end up with an unusually large bump behind the wing at the thorax. Am I using too much hair? I once saw a tying style with the butts facing forward. Anybody try this?

I think you are tying the hairs in the correct direction. Try laying down the thread and the tail if you wish, then doing the hair wing before any body materials. Then when tying the wing, maybe use less, but importantly, make sure you spread the butts down along each side of the hook shank before binding. Not only will this give a better wing appearance, but it will reduce the "bump" you describe. Now tie in the body material and finish to the back of the wing. Move the thread in front of the wing and consider dubbing a short bit of thread in front of the wing so when you push it up you will have a bit of dubbing to help support the wing upright.

I tie them with the butts facing rear. Jack's method sounds like a good one.

Tie a very small bunch with tips toward hook eye, post upright. Hold this wing back while tying in another small bunch with the tips toward the tail, post upright. This creates opposing force and the wing will stay vertical. Other methods usually result in the wing leaning out over the hook eye. especially after sitting in the fly box for a few months. It also helps with bulk in one spot and creates modest bulk in the entire thorax area where you want it anyway.

I tie comparaduns backwards (tips toward the rear) to reduce bulk in the abdomen and to prevent the wing from eventually leaning over the hook eye as Abbrod said. I use wraps behind the wing and dubbing to force the wing into a vertical position. I never tried two bundles tied in opposite directions. Sounds like a good idea. I’ll have to give that a try.

BTW, I've found through talking to and seeing many fly tiers work, there is usually no wrong way or right way to tie a fly - just different ways. Many times the same can be said for fly casting.

Dear schultzy,

If the abdomen is too thick you could probably cut back on the amount of hair. You really don't need a lot.

You may want to look for a better grade of deer hair for your wings too. Not all deer hair is suitable for comparadun wings because some of it is just naturally thicker than other hair.

On last thing to try for compardun wings is too use H-Viz polypropolene material in place of deer body hair. It really works well for smaller flies because it is highly compressable, plus it floats like a cork. Just be sure to spread the material out to fan it around the top half of the hook before you cinch it down tight.

Regards,
Tim Murphy :)

Thanks for all the info, guys. I've tied a few today and so far, so good. I've been tying with the tips forward, but will try the reverse sometime. Abbrod's method sounds great and I will have to try it, but honestly, I have all I can do to tie the wing in one direction.

I've never tried the Hi Viz. I'll have to give this a shot, as the thorax bump seems to be the biggest problem in smaller flies.

In smaller flies, I tie a cdc comparadun style. I like em a bit better for that application.

http://www.westfly.com/fly-pattern-recipe/dry/cdccomparadun.shtml

For sulphur patterns this is my fly of choice, I tie them with the tips forward and tend to adhere to the theory that less is more. Meaning that I tie flies sparse, except for a few favorite patterns, but compara duns are sparse, and when tapered correctly compara duns will look fine.Use less wing material.

First off remember that the tye in point for a compara dun is more a-mid-ship than a classic Catskill style dry. This provides better balance for the fly an allows room in front of the wing to add dubbing to support the wing and to complete the fly.

As to too much bulk creating a fat body or a distinct buldge to compensate for when triming the butts - tye it in this was.

1. The butts face to the rear of the hook
2. Tye in at the point where you want the wings to stand up
3. Take a few (just enough) wraps at the tye in point to temporarily but securely hold them in place.
4. Now with your scissors cut the extending butts in a step fashion starting just behind the tye in point. Sort of like this.

....................... ______|
..............._____|
........____|

GreyGhost,

Great instructions - I tie my CDs exactly the same way. Also, the step method of trimming applies for all similar hair wing type flies to increase durability and create a taper to the body.

Back