Compara Emergers and Nymphs

littlelehigh

littlelehigh

Yes I'm reading Caddisflies by Gary LaFontaine for the first time and have never seen anyone mention they fish or tie a compara emerger.

Were these just a fad in the past? I'm curious to know if anyone still uses them or if anyone every had, with success or not?

And what is the difference between a standard nymph pattern and the compara nymph?

Where in Caddisflies does he mention a compara emrger. now in Hatch's they talk about it, are you reading 2 books or one ?

As Sandy says, they are two different flies from different books/authors. I think the LaFountaine fly that you are asking about from "Caddisflies" is the Emergent Caddis Pupa, and it does work very well.

sandfly wrote:
Where in Caddisflies does he mention a compara emrger. now in Hatch's they talk about it, are you reading 2 books or one ?

My bad and yes as a matter fact I am reading both but concentrating on Caddisflies. These questions are regarding Hatches 2. Thanks for straightening me out.

just tie a dry and clip the hackle under neath and you'll have an emerger like hatches says. I used those patterns for years and went back to the standard wets for an emerger pattern.

the compara emerger is nothing more than dry fly dubbing , pontoon tails (forked) and deer hair wing , simple to tie , cheap to tie and yes they really work , ride in the film for a good profile , can be weighted and fished as a wet also.

Here is a Caddis emerger pattern I have had a lot of luck with.
I will use this as a dropper off a dry or the second fly for an up swing when nymphing.

Attachments

• DSCN10740001.JPG
    DSCN10740001.JPG
    29.3 KB · Views: 2
nice fly !

Nice fly SkyBlue!! What style hook and in what sizes do you tie it?

I concur on those opinions on SkyBlues fly. That's nice! We need a recipe.:-D

Very Nice tie Skyblue thanks for sharing! A recipe would be appreciated.

It is very basic.

Size 16 Pupa hook
Tan Beaver Dubbing
Black Wire or thread
Biots, tan
Ice Dubbing, Dark
Black base thread.

Below is another one. Green Body.

Attachments

• DSCN10730001.JPG
    DSCN10730001.JPG
    25.3 KB · Views: 3
Did you ever see my "FLYING NYMPH" ?

Basic pattern shown.

A great all round, find some fish pattern. It is a great fly to trail behind a bugger...

Attachments

• DSCN0873 compressed.JPG
    DSCN0873 compressed.JPG
    17.2 KB · Views: 3
Man that one looks like a winner to!:)

See what you've been missing Festus?!?! Glad to see you back.

See what you've been missing Festus?!?! Glad to see you back.

Thanks RY. I'm really diggin' all these trout fly pictures.:)

Back