Coming back to flyfishing

J

James_Feather

Hello!

I used to be fairly avid into flyfishing, in fact I used to be active on this board and even participated in a few fly swaps.

I even tied my own flies for several years.

I never really had the right rod/reel outfit for fishing around my area so the point of this question is to ask, what's a good action/weight/make/model rod for a sort-of beginner around these parts?

The biggest water I plan on fishing would be comparable to the First Fork of the Sinnemahoning or the Raystown Branch of the Juniata. Looking for something to fish both wet and dry flys and preferably something fairly versatile.

Any suggestions would be greatly appriciated! I'd live to find some of my old posts on this board, but I created a new account because I could not.

Thank you!

I fish the First Fork every year and I use a 10' 5wt Orvis there and also on Penns Creek

Thanks for the reply!

I'm wondering if a 3wt would be too small? I should probably just go with a 4-5 wt.

3wt is probably only useful if you're going to be fishing small brookie streams. I'd go with a 5wt as a good all-around rod. Length, action, # of sections would be whatever you prefer.

salmonoid wrote:
3wt is probably only useful if you're going to be fishing small brookie streams. I'd go with a 5wt as a good all-around rod. Length, action, # of sections would be whatever you prefer.

A long 3wt can be a do-it-all for trout fishing. Gary LaFontaine used a Sage LL 893 for much of his trout fishing.

I agree with the 5wt as a good all-around rod in PA. Length of 7' 9" to 8' 6" for the most versatility. Longer if you fish bigger streams more than smaller streams.

I'd recommend an 8'6" 5 weight. As close as you can come to a one rod fish all for PA IMO

dryflyguy wrote:
I'd recommend an 8'6" 5 weight. As close as you can come to a one rod fish all for PA IMO
+1 I agree.

I'll agree with the 5wt. I have an 8' 5wt that was my do-it-all fly rod for years.

Thank you all for you input!

I think I may lean toward a 5wt based upon responses here.

Welcome to the jungle!

Five weight is probably your best all around choice, but rod choice is really subjective!

For example, I just pointed to 5 weight, but really love my 10' four weight! :)

Welcome back! I like a 10 foot four weight myself for streams the size of Spring creek, Penns, & the little "j". Honestly even smaller just depends how thick it is.

What is everyone's opinion on a 4wt that is between 8-9' in length?

Also if anyone has any rods that are close to this description that they have used, I'd be interested in knowing the make and model.

Thanks so much for all the advice, really looking forward to getting started this Spring!

I have an 8'6" 4 weight - an old Orvis HLS model - and it is very nice for my dry fly only fishing on medium to large streams.
However, it is tad too small for the largest streams I fish - the Yough and the Delaware River. And on those waters, I use a 9' 5 weight.

But again, if you're looking to buy 1 rod to kinda do it all, hard to beat an 8'6" 5 weight

I would say a 8'6"/9' 4wt that's medium action/mid flex. Years back the 6wt rod was classified as the all around trout rod, now a days it's a 5, but a 4wt seems to be gaining more popularity than the 5wts. Although once you go to the shop, cast a 4 and 5wt and see what feels best for you.

Back