Combination 3 & wt vs 4 & 6 wt rods

S

spike-2

Curious as to the preference of the members as to weight combinations for trout fishing the the mid state and SE regions -- 4&6 or 3&5.
Thanks
Dave

I have 3-7 weights. Looking back 15 years, the 3 and 6 got the most use. I've migrated toward fishing bigger water so now the 5, 6, 7 get the brunt of the work. It all depends what you intend to do and where you intend to fish.

If you limit it to 2 rods for trouting, 4 & 6 weights. If you might do some bassing and don't fish small native streams much, 5 & 7 combo.

current rods owned....
7'9" - 3wt
9' - 4wt
9' - 5wt
9' - 5wt
9' - 6wt
9' - 6wt
9' - 6wt
8'6" - 6wt
9' - 7wt
9'6" - 7wt

I own and use flyrods from 2 weight to 6 weight in lengths from 6'6" to 10' and everything in between. My choice of rod depends on the stream I am fishing and what flies I intend to use. I am fortunate and have a few flyrods to choose from.

spike-2 wrote:
Curious as to the preference of the members as to weight combinations for trout fishing the the mid state and SE regions -- 4&6 or 3&5.
Thanks
Dave

You can't really go wrong with either of the choices.

If you fish mostly smaller streams with small dries and nymphs, a 3 & 5wt would probably work better.

If you fish larger rivers and fish streamers quite a bit (and maybe cheat and fish for smallies sometimes) the 4 & 6wt would be a better choice, IMO.

2-13 wt here

sandfly wrote:
2-13 wt here
Bob, I believe the OP meant rods for trout fishing unless you use a 13 weight for trout. :lol:

If you want to keep things simple, these two rods will handle trout fishing in PA (not including steelhead).

9 ft, 5 wt

7 1/2 ft, 4 wt.

Back