Colored leader v. Clear?

sgrim

sgrim

Just curious about others' opinions on colored leader material (Chameleon, etc) versus standard clear nylon? All brands that I own right now are clear. I've fished both and never really noticed a difference one way or the other.

sgrim wrote:
Just curious about others' opinions on colored leader material (Chameleon, etc) versus standard clear nylon? All brands that I own right now are clear. I've fished both and never really noticed a difference one way or the other.

+1 not really a big factor from my experience. Clear works fine.

I do use sections of colored leader aka sighters, to better detect strikes when nymphing. The actual sighter material you buy is much more visible because it is opaque, while most regular leaders are more translucent.

I use maxima as butt sections because it is pretty stiff. I primarily nymph so my leader isn't typically laying on the water. Use what you have it will work just fine.

Agree. I have some orange mono in my pack that I use as a sighter section in my leader when fishing nymphs at close range. A couple of feet in the section of the leader that I expect will be at the surface of the water based on the depth I'm fishing. I've switched over quick and fished dries with it there and it didn't make a difference, though the orange section was several feet up from the dry fly. For dries, or nymphs at a greater distance where you'd be using an indicator, I don't see why you'd want anything other than clear though.

Back