Colorado - South Platte River

D

Dmomeyer

Good Morning,

Traveling to Colorado Springs for the 2nd week in July and plan on fishing the South Platte River.

Does anyone have any experience or advice on this stream?

I am all ears - locations, fly selection, best time to fish, etc.

Thanks

Lived in the springs for 3 years. Loved going up there.

I really liked the section at the end of the drive of Eleven Mile Canyon. Guess the first couple of miles below the dam. You really can't go wrong down there. Find the type of water you like to fish and fish it. There are a lot of fish spread out. Adjust your tippet size based on clarity and flow. If the water is up i never had a problem with them being leader shy as long as the presentation was good. But it can get crystal clear.

I had luck on all the standards i fish in PA.

Also think about the Arkansas river. I think i preferred it over the platte. Fished texas creek section a lot. It has easy parking and varied water types. Pools and riffles. Just be careful wading. It's kinda like penns. Again, typical hatches and patterns. Lots of caddis stuff.

One note. I had a lot more luck with RS2's out there than i have had out here.

Try to hit Deckers I did well last summer on that stretch.
there should be good terrestrial action.
Also there is Willow creek another good spot.
Have fun
Jay

2nd vote for Eleven Mile Canyon on the S Platte. I had a great day there in 2006 when I was getting serious about fly fishing for the first time. I was still quite the novice at the time, but the fish there weren't so difficult.

A buddy of mine is now retired and lives within 30 minutes of the South Platte. He fishes it regularly and likes it a lot. His big caution for Eleven Mile Canyon is that, like many places, it can become a zoo on the summer weekends. It goes without saying that you will probably want to hit more popular stretches like this during the week if it's at all possible.

I fell in back in 1983.

It's cold...

I took that refreshing dip on the first morning of a long anticipated week long trip.

We were fishing in late May. I caught lots of fish on #14 & #16 brassies... after returning to the river bank dry & warm.

The Middle Fork of the South Platte River near Hartsel, Co is crazy fun.

I really liked the Eleven Mile Canyon stretch as well though I fished it last in April so kind of cold still. Also liked Cheeseman Canyon though that can be some tough fishing. Fine tippet and midges are often the ticket. I got two trout there and both my buddies got the skunk; one was a beginner though. Still remember seeing a fish roll in front of the beginner as he was taking a siesta. Took two drifts and landed him on a sz. 22RS-2; a 16' rainbow. Burned into my memory forever!

Don't waste time at Spinney. 11 mile and Cheesman are great!! Deckers is a good too. Danny at Flies and Lies in Deckers is someone you should call.

CO a few years ago

All above suggestions are solid. 11 Mile has so many fish below it. I think I had to pay a fee to drive up to the dam.

Everybody (including CO locals) seem to think you have to nymph when fishing in CO. If you're observant, you'll see rises. My biggest trout on South Platte were on dries.

Great report acristickid.

Back