Colorado Fishing?

flyfishermanj

flyfishermanj

Guys,

Some friends and I usually plan a trip to Yellowstone area every year. But this year we are looking to go to Colorado. Anyone have any advice on where we should start looking? Rivers? Lodges/Campgrounds? Thanks in advance.
Jason

My advice is go online and learn all the most famous streams and rivers. So you know where NOT to go. Then fish the streams you've never heard of.

I'm not kidding. Look at maps and find a big national forest somewhere with lots of room to roam. Buy the national forest map, or even better, buy the appropriate maps from Trails Illustrated, who make the very best maps. Drive way back on some gravel forest road. Camp. Then explore and fish obscure creeks and lakes without the crowds. You'll have a ball.

The famous tailwaters have bigger fish, but they're crowded, and you don't get the wilderness experience, and you have the stress of jockeying for position.

Go for the backcountry experience.

i fished the s. platte above wigwam club and saw only 1 other fisherman ad there were fish all over the place. i just could not get many to hit. this was in july. also fished the blue and was not impressed. my next trip will be a small stream lake hike off the trail, so to speak. you may also want to try north idaho. i fished the cord'arlene river and had a blast catch cut after cut on dries all day long. i'm sure if i wanted to nymph or streamer fish i could of caught some bigger fish that i saw. also the spokane river is a hidden gem i never see get any press. the spokane is a big river and would best be fish out of a boat/cat/raft to realize its true potential. so many fish rising just out of casting range.

You might try around Vail or Glenwood Springs. That would put you close to the Roaring Fork, Colorado River, and Frying Pan. It's also not too far from Rocky Mountain National Park or the Grand Mesa. If you're a hiker the Black Canyon of the Gunnison is unforgetable. Good luck.

I spent a week in Colorado this summer fishing the S. Platte. I fished both above and below the Wigwam club and have to say it's the most beautiful water I've ever dipped a wader clad toe into. Fishing, though, is very difficult. About 5 years ago, maybe less, there was a huge wild lands fire in the mountains surrounding the S. Platte. The run off from the fire killed almost every trout downstream (this info came from local fly fisherman I met there.) The state restocked with New Zealand rainbows and browns, and there are some HUGE fish. Above the town of Deckers, the water is classic Colorado river. Below Deckers, runoff from the burned mountains still plaques the river. It's always brown and though there are trout, it's difficult to find them.
After a week of fishing the S. Platte, without a fish, I hit a small brookie/cutthroat stream and had a blast.
My suggestions for Colorado are this. First, hire a good guide. There is a fly shop right in Deckers, you can't miss it because there are only five or six buildings in Deckers. Second, tie the smallest nymphs and midges you can, because that's all those fish will bite. 22-24 RSII's, black beauties, copper johns are best. I didn't see a rise all week and from what the locals tell me, they haven't had decent dry fly fishing since the fire.
Of course, the S. Platte isn't the only fly water in the state. The Colorado and the headwaters of the Arkansas Rivers are there plus countless mountain streams that hold brook and cutthroat trout.
John

Where 2 go around Colorado springs i have family there and look to go next spring any tips on specific waters!~~Please!!!

S1,

I fished 3 places in CO this past Aug and early Sept. I would recommend June or as soon as the runoff is over. Fished the Gunnison below the Black Canyon outside of Delta, CO. Search for Pleasure Park in CO and you can contact Leroy who owns it. Great guy. Caught a good number of fish and big fish but all on nymphs and streamers. Salmonfly hatch in June is the best and then caddis after. Fished the Big Thompson at Estes Park. Nice stream, lots of fish but not a lot of big fish. Easy access. Also stayed in Walden, CO and fished the North Platte. Small town but has fly shop and they were very helpful. Had a great time for 3 days on tricos and olives. Easy to access and wade. Would go there again. Not in CO but consider the Big Horn in Ft Smith MT. Search Bighornflyfishers. Great rates on guided trips, lodging, food, etc. Can also wade fish many spots. Tons of fish and large fish. Caught a great black caddis hatch for 2 days in Aug. Hope this helps. Any questions: flyfish1955@comcast.net

I fished in Colorado for over a month, and unless you seek the less known streams there are going to be crowds. As for the South Platte, there can be crowds there even in the winter. One time during May when I wsa there there was a guy in every hole, sometimes 2 guys.
If it were me I'd stick to MT, you couldn't have come close to exploring all the great water there.

Back