Cold weather rain/wind jacket?

P

PaulItaliano

My 10 year old gore tex jacket seems to have lost its water proofing in the shoulders. I need a new one and am looking for suggestions.

I really like the zip in linear my old jacket has and of course has to be water proof.

Thank you

Have you tried treating it with Rainex?

I have found it's easier to use a plain waterproof rain coat from LL Bean or wherever (usually about $100) and then wear various layers underneath. that way i can replace the jacket (or sometimes retreat them with waterproofing spray) without breaking the bank. It also helps because i can use it all through the year if i change the layers i wear underneath.

PaulItaliano wrote:
My 10 year old gore tex jacket seems to have lost its water proofing in the shoulders. I need a new one and am looking for suggestions.

I really like the zip in linear my old jacket has and of course has to be water proof.

Thank you

Instead of replacing your jacket, you probably just need to reapply the dwr coating which repels water. It is easy to do, and costs about $10.

Here is some info > Revivex

If the material is worn and or flaking , the treatment mostly likely will not work. This is what happened to a 10 year old Patagonia stretch jacket I had- was time for a new one.

Hard to go wrong with Bean, Orvis, Simms, Patagonia but there are many manufacturers of gear today that I am not aware of. I haven’t not looked in depth at for a long time.

Not sure what your looking to spend?? You can get good deals on outdoor gear at Sierra trading posts and sites like that- typically you must cycle through many pages of gear to find things- many are odd sizes.

I got a near top of the line Orvis jacket that was on clearance from the prior season- reduced $150.

Many of the jackets preform similar but it comes down to the pocket layout or zipper for adding liner, price, color and one of the big things for me is the shorty jacket so you don’t get your jacket all wet if you wade a lil deeper.

I spend a lot of time backpacking and fishing in nasty conditions. If you're jacket is developing holes they can be repaired with Tear-Aid, Tenacious Tape (not as good as Tear-Aid imo) or aquaseal. If it is in really rough shape then just buy a new coat. I, for one, don't like Gore-Tex all that much. It is too expensive for what it is and not any different than other breathable waterproof fabrics.

If the coat is just not as waterproof as it used to be, then do as follows. Wash it with Tech-Wash and then while wet apply a healthy coating of Revivex. I've treated my Bean coat which is made out of Polartec Neoshell material many times and I've had that coat for about 8 years and it has seen a ton of use. It's been patched, just acquired a new hole this weekend in Erie when I hooked myself fishing right where Elk meets the lake, but it isn't anywhere close to "giving up."

Leo Vensel has a nice video on refurbishing a Patagucci raincoat.

Hey Paul,

We have a few rain jackets we really like here at Trident. The Orvis Pro Wading Jacket is a great option. The Pro Wading Jacket from Orvis has custom woven 3-layer shell fabric, taped seams, and water-resistant zippers; a great choice for battling the elements.
The Simms Guide Series of Jackets is also a pretty durable and waterproof line. I wear the Simms Riffle Jacket which is a nice, cheaper, alternative to the expensive G4 Pro Guide Jacket (although not as bomb proof).

Check out outerwear from Trident here: https://www.tridentflyfishing.com/clothing/fly-fishing-jackets-outerwear.html

Hope this helps!

The Trident Team

Thanks for the tip on the different treatments, I thought they were just some sort of silcone spray, but I see they are different.

Back