Cold weather fisherman

ryansheehan

ryansheehan

Anyone ever use thermacares when fishing in the cold? Was thinking about putting one over the back of my neck next time it's really cold.

I use those and paste them on the small of my back right above my butt. Really works. I also use HeatMax Toasti Toes Foot Warmers .
Really can make a difference on a cold day.

Interesting idea!

I found this from a Google search: https://www.accessdata.fda.gov/scripts/cdrh/cfdocs/cfRes/res.cfm?ID=172945

On another note, changing the topic a bit. If fishing in cold weather, does anyone pre-rig their fly rod/ reel to save some time when you get to the stream. I’ve been considering pre-rigging mine including flies and securing it broken down in a gun case. That way I’m not starting my day with frozen fingers. Seems if I use my rod case, I always end up with a twisted snagged mess. Any good tips out there?

My rod is almost always rigged up. Just slide the two pieces back together. Sometimes there is a little tangle, but manageable.

I, on a couple occasions have even put my waders on at the house on really cold days.

During warmer months I just rig up at the stream, but in Winter, I do rig up at home sometimes. Especially when setting up a nymph rig, which requires more knots and is more time consuming.

Once rigged, I just break my rods in half for transport, and store the two pieces in opposing directions to one another. (If a 4 piece, I only split them at the middle connection.) Rig the rod in full as normal at home, and when you break it down in half, hook the fly (or bottom-most fly if a multiple nymph rig) to the end eyelet and reel the rest of the leader onto the reel so it's fairly tight, but the rod will still store doubled back on itself. This should avoid any tangles when you put the rod back together at the stream. Just pull the leader back out off the reel.

Sometimes I'll tie a couple extra double nymph rigs up ahead of time at home and just store them in my fly box in the Winter too. Tying knots is difficult with cold fingers...I try to do what I can to minimize it.

Back