cold feet

E

Earthdog

went out today-- I had colombia socks on (wick) and underarmoe socks over those- my feet were still cold .
What do you guys do?

I deal with it.

And that's after trying just about everything.

I'm going to get a set of boot foot waders next. I think that's the only solution, and even then, they'll get cold.

I go two sizes up from my regular shoe size. That way with the extra socks on, I still can move my toes easily and I have never gotten real cold feet.......

I never completely avoid cold feet in the winter but I get relief from just stepping out of the water and walking for a few minutes. Try to get out in the sun if possible. It makes a big difference.

I dunno, my feet are always cold but I just deal with it like Jay. I did purchase a pair if thick wool socks from Cabelas and they seem to help. My mind is just always on fishing and I never think about my feet. They go numb after awhile.

My feet sweat, so I am always plagued with cold feet. I wear liner socks and wools socks, and it seems to work pretty good. Also, be sure your boots don't fit too tight. Allow for a little air space.

I wear 2 layers of wool socks and 1 pair of seal socks over top. my feet don't go cold

Save room and move your toes often, I think. I just forget about them and hope they come back to life.

The bootfoots are a great idea. If i can suggest a pair of waders, if you can find them, I'd go with the Orvis silver labels with the bogs bootfoot. I only wear regular under armour running socks with them and my feet never get cold. Bootfoot is good if you get the right ones- kev

Try a single pair of socks. I would wear the wicking ones. If you create room around your feet to trap warm air it will help insulate your feet keeping them warmer. By wearing two pair of socks you probably eliminate that layer of warm air. It should help, but in the winter there is no way to completely avoid clod feet. Moving more often will help too.

Always buy boots two sizes bigger than you normally would. wear two pairs of socks. One pair for wicking and the other a warm wool pair. On really cold days I put one of the hand warmer packs inbetween my socks on the top of my feet. Your feet won't be cold no matter how cold the water is.

Insulated bootfoots is the best thing I've tried. My cold feet days are over when I am wearing them.

Wife got me some Smart Wool socks for Christmas. They really work! Warm, and if my feet should sweat they wick away the moisture and keep my feet dry.

I also have a pair of the socks with the little slot in the toes to allow for a hand warmer pack. I've not tried them in my waders yet, but they do wonders for late season hunting.

Berks wrote:
I never completely avoid cold feet in the winter but I get relief from just stepping out of the water and walking for a few minutes. Try to get out in the sun if possible. It makes a big difference.

I do this as well...

Yeah, I usually just deal with it. Loose fitting shoes, with loose fitting wool socks do help.

If it's REALLY cold out, like 15 degrees, I go with the chemical warmer thingies. The kind you just expose to air and shake. They're awesome, I use em on my hands all the time. The same company makes toe warmers as well that fit well in a shoe.

The only problem is that they need a fair amount of air to get hot. Hands, not a problem, you're messing with them anyway. But feet, they won't get enough in a closed area like that. You gotta spend like 5 minutes shaking that powder stuff around to activate them before putting them in, and even then, you might need to reactivate after a few hours. So, it's a bit of a hassle, hence I only do it if absolutely necessary.

Ditto on the toe warmers. Snow Border socks have an xtra wide 'toe box' ideal for the shake&bake style toe warmers, provided one wears bigger boots. Last year i started using a good xxl pair of keen hikking boots w/a pair of yak traks as my winter wading foot wear. Stuff those babies with some wigwam or snowboarder socks and some toe warmers, then am good to go.

I buy my boots 1 size bigger, wear 1pair nylon socks for wicking, then a nice heavy wool sock. thats it. i also wear a thin sock over my wader sock . not for warmt just to protect neopren from junk in boot. feet have never got cold .

Back