Codorus Creek, York County, 9/12/23

B

Billr

Slot Limit section. Didn't get temp but it's cool. Two fish on sunken ant. Fish commission was electroshocking. They said plenty of smaller fish and a few around 13 inches. Do they post the results of their electroshocking?

Slot Limit section. Didn't get temp but it's cool. Two fish on sunken ant. Fish commission was electroshocking. They said plenty of smaller fish and a few around 13 inches. Do they post the results of their electroshocking?

Mike could best answer this question. I know he sent me some results, when I asked him, many moons ago. You should have asked them when you spoke to them.

Hopefully they practiced proper stream etiquette and din't jump in front of you!

Cool & full level water - short heatwave - no biggie...

TCool & full level water - short heatwave - no biggie...
Yes, I agree. At full water level “cool” would be an understatement in that part of Codorus and a heatwave would be meaningless.

Moodyblues is right; the best opportunity to access the data would have been to make the request and provide an email or mailing address on the spot. AFM’s are often tough to contact during the height of field season. The description of the electrofishing catch that Bill R received was generally consistent with what was found in the past, thus the appropriateness of the present slot’s length limits.

Last edited:
Nothing like electro shocking fish immediately following the biggest heatwave of the summer.

That's one stream that stays ice cold, even through the hottest part of summer. I know flows have been curtailed on this stream quite a bit, but I'm sure there is still plenty of cold water to effect safe electroshocking. The Codorus is an ice box!

That's one stream that stays ice cold, even through the hottest part of summer. I know flows have been curtailed on this stream quite a bit, but I'm sure there is still plenty of cold water to effect safe electroshocking. The Codorus is an ice box!
Codorus stays extremely cold year long. A lot of people do not know that it is a tailwater. I am interested to see what the reg changes do to fish populations & sizes. I have had my fair share of good sized fish come out of there. Never seen a fish myself over 15" but I do know they exist in the system. There are some very deep undercuts and great cover there.

I have caught at least one over 18" in there and seen others that looked a lot bigger. Have not fished it in some time. Last time I went a lot of the private water was posted. Its an interesting stream. I fished it years ago with a sculpin type pattern and had some big ones swipe at it. Hooked a Bowfin in there one time.

The answer: the water temp was 10 deg C (50 F) on the day of the survey.

I tried wet wading about 10 years ago after 3 days of temps in the mid 90's, my legs and feet are still thawing out. Needless to say, I haven't tried that again.

I didn’t want to start a new thread because this really is not a stream report. On 12/30, my wife sent me on an errand to pick up some random piece of furniture from a shop in Hanover, PA. The drive took me through Codorus State Park. It looked to me like Lake Marburg was surprisingly low (actually shockingly low). I did not drive by Codorus Creek to see what the stream looked like, but has anyone noticed how the flows have been recently? The reservoir looked to be at least 10 feet below the high water mark, but that is just a guess based on what I saw from the car.

I guess it would not surprise me if the flows are similar to the low flows we have had on the Gunpowder for the past month or so. Prettyboy Reservoir was approximately 13 feet below normal when the flows on the GP were significantly dialed back, and there appears to be no end in sight to the minimal releases from the reservoir.

I didn’t want to start a new thread because this really is not a stream report. On 12/30, my wife sent me on an errand to pick up some random piece of furniture from a shop in Hanover, PA. The drive took me through Codorus State Park. It looked to me like Lake Marburg was surprisingly low (actually shockingly low). I did not drive by Codorus Creek to see what the stream looked like, but has anyone noticed how the flows have been recently? The reservoir looked to be at least 10 feet below the high water mark, but that is just a guess based on what I saw from the car.

I guess it would not surprise me if the flows are similar to the low flows we have had on the Gunpowder for the past month or so. Prettyboy Reservoir was approximately 13 feet below normal when the flows on the GP were significantly dialed back, and there appears to be no end in sight to the minimal releases from the reservoir.
The flows on the creek are being held at the minimum allowable under the operator's permit, and it's been that way for quite some time now. I can't even recall the last time it wasn't at minimum (other than after rainfall). It's certainly not doing the stream any good, but the trout are adapting. Until this drought finally breaks, I cannot forsee any changes anytime soon. A big snowfall with a nice slow melt would be great, but we've barely seen a flake so far.

I fished the stream last week. It is definitely low, not unfishable, but lower than normal. Snow this weekend will help, hopefully we get a healthy dose that hangs around a bit.

It is usually the only red dot i n the entire state on the USGS, but even at that it's still fishable. Was out New Year's Day and witnessed one of the lowest flows ever. That's my excuse for taking the skunk.

I haven't fished it in years, in part because my favorite section got posted, and because the hendricksons had been at least mostly eliminated due to what I heard was a spill. Has that hatch returned? At one time it was amazing, with some very nice fish eating on top.

I have fished it regularly now for several years (in all kinds of seasons) and have only very infrequently seen rising fish.

Ive been fishing it every weekend since new years, Lake Marburg is officially 12 vertical feet below, but the creek itself is doing fine, New Years day i caught 6, the week after i got 8. Then we got 2 strong days of rain the following which made the creek unfishable because of flow and color. Finally this past weekend a few strechtes were unfishable for me (euro) due to high winds but i did manage 1 before i left (another group was fishing down stream). Most if not all my hits are on gold ribbed tan hares ear with an orange hot spot. I did pick up a few of the smaller fish on a light blue perdigon. But i think that was my last week on that stream as i really want to hit a few others but I thought it was my best shot at a numbers weekend. Sadly i was wrong.

Back