Codorus Creek. Trophy trout section

B

Billr

Parked at the pull off by Rr tracks and walked down through the corn field. Maybe a quarter mile down saw a No Trespassing sign. Never saw that before. Anybody know anything about that?

http://www.paflyfish.com/forums/Open-Forums/Fly-Fishing-Locations/New-Posting-on-Codorus-creek/30,51042.html

Bill - That posting was added earlier this year, and had nothing to do with fishing or fishermen. A short section was set aside for a wood duck nesting area, and the posting was planned as a temporary one. We are hoping these signs will be removed soon, but we're urging everyone to just avoid the area until they're taken down.

CodorusTUTom wrote:
Bill - That posting was added earlier this year, and had nothing to do with fishing or fishermen. A short section was set aside for a wood duck nesting area, and the posting was planned as a temporary one. We are hoping these signs will be removed soon, but we're urging everyone to just avoid the area until they're taken down.

Thanks for the heads-up.

A characteristic of both York and Lancaster Counties is that a number of landowners hunt and don’t want anglers or biologists walking through riparian habitat on a seasonal basis.

Mike wrote:
A characteristic of both York and Lancaster Counties is that a number of landowners hunt and don’t want anglers or biologists walking through riparian habitat on a seasonal basis.

I think this may be more broadly true than many anglers (who don't hunt) realize.

Here in Adams Co. the owners of most of the section of Conewago FFO are hunters so anglers are asked to avoid that section during rifle deer season.

While I favor special regs, other STWs not managed under special regs get so little angling pressure in the autumn months that hunting landowners don't even consider the issue. A stream like Codorus that has special regs, a dense population of wild trout, and is located in a part of the state with high angler population. . . complicates the public access issue.

I wear an oversize vest similar to this if I have to walk through good deer habitat on the way to a river or stream. Even during archery season. It is even lighter weight than the one shown and stuffs easily in a pocket when you get to the water.

Light Blaze Orange Vest

That’s not the landowners’ point; they don’t want anglers chasing the deer out of the riparian areas, which are ideal habitat, travel corridors, watering spots, and often the only or some of the only good habitat on farms.

I was mentioning the vest as an aside. But if their concern is outside rifle season when I would not be fishing anyway, THAT I did not adequately appreciate, so thanks.

Anecdotally, a farmer in cental PA told me last week he likes anglers around. He thinks our presence reduces criminal activity. Again, just an anecdote but it is very large and popular water.

Back