Clover Creek, Blair Co

mjkraw

mjkraw

Was hoping for some info on this creek and if there is any public access? It says on the state site that it's 97% private open, but I know some of this water is for private clubs. Any help will be very appreciated and potentially save me a long drive from Pittsburgh!

I fished it once by stopping at a farm house and asking permission. There were no signs posting the property, but it seemed like the right thing to do.

The only public access I know of is where they stock it on the upper end. I went to fish it late last summer and drove from the public access on the upper end downstream to where it dumps into the fb, paralleling most of the stream, and the only non posted section I found was near the mouth. It was frustrating because the stream looked unbelievable most of the way down. I would ask permission to fish a section that looks nice, if you strike out, you could always hop over to the other side of the valley and fish piney.

Was there last summer, a lot of the stream flows through farmland in the upper half, and some of it is posted.. Donny Beaver also now owns a pretty large section of the stream on lower clover creek rd.

Most times I have asked permission to fish waters where permissive access was unclear, I was thanked by the landowner for bothering to ask permission. The only time I was ever berated for fishing private lands/waters, was when I assumed permission, despite a lack of warnings against trespass.

Here is how simple it is:

After a decent hour, or after noting activity or seeing the landowner, say in his garage or barn or around his land, stop your car. Approach carefully and ask if it would be OK to fish some section of the stream. Then ask if the access plan you have established is one he/she would prefer or if you should try another. They say yes or no, and you proceed to fish or not depending upon the reply.

If they deny access, thank them anyway and ask if they know whether there are other sections of the creek where access is allowed.

I never fail to mention I do not keep fish, unless of course they would like me to keep a few for them to enjoy.

Hi there:

Clover Creek can be divided into two sections. Near Larke, the stream goes under Clover Creek Road. The downstream section is considered Class-A wild brown trout water and is not stocked by the state. Upstream of there and continuing on into Martinsburg, the stream is stocked several times a year by the state. Both sections hold decent amounts of wild browns. Of course, the upper section has a bunch of stockies in it as well.

The private club water is located just downstream of where the stream crosses under Clover Creek. This property is well marked. Dunno why they feel the need to stock over a prime spring fed limestone creek.

Most of the stream flows through farmland. However, due to the stockings the landowners are used to seeing fishermen on their property. Besides the club, only one other land owner posts their property, and he's really strict about letting folks fish there. He's refused entry multiple times, and won't even let his neighbors fish there. On the bright side, last year another landowner finally took his no-trespassing signs down, but asks that you release all the fish caught. He asks that no one camps in his front yard (guess folks did that opening day a few years ago).

Most of the landowners are quite generous and will actually spend an hour or two just talking. A good many of the farms are owned by Mennonite or Amish farmers. A few ask that you don't fish on Sundays.

-----

That being said, the entire stream has decent wild and stocked trout populations. The lower end predominantly wild browns. You'll have to do some exploring, as the roads wind around and are not marked.

The stream is definitely worth hitting up.

-------

While you are in the area, be sure to hit up the other trout streams. About 6 or 7 limestone spring creeks in the area. Like I mentioned before, just talk to the farmers, let them know you are putting the trout back in. Wearing a trout unlimited hat doesn't hurt either. I've actually never been refused (except for the one guy that posts his property on Clover Creek). I've been invited for dinner, invited to sit on the porch and talk, actually had a few give me a tour of their section of the stream and let me know that it's ok to fish their neighbors property too. Actually had a few introduce me to their neighbors. Only drawback (if you want to call it that) is that you can spend the whole day just chatting away instead of fishing.

Each Christmas, I make it a point to deliver pecan pies (the ladies at my church make them) to the kind folks that let me fish on their land. It's actually quite nice to visit with other folks and hear their stories.

------

Anyhow, sorry for the long rant.

Enjoy your time fishing. If you are in the Altoona, PA area this August drop me a line, I'd be glad to show you around.

Tight Lines,

John Coxey
jpcoxey at yahoo dot com

Back