Clousers

• Thread starter mike_richardson
  • Start date
mike_richardson

mike_richardson

Tied these up for bass and walley. I watched a few youtube videos of guys catching walleys on a river on what looked like pink and white mister twisters. I am not sure if the clouser with a rabbit strip tail has a name but I just call them bunny clousers. LOL I think these should work well with bass. I tied thise of Gamakatsu B10S hooks.

Think they will work. Hoping that the dumbbell eyes will get them down enough. I may have to add weight on them in the future after I see how they cast.

Attachments

• BUNNY CLOUSERS BOX.jpg
    BUNNY CLOUSERS BOX.jpg
    102 KB · Views: 9
  • COUSERS.jpg
    COUSERS.jpg
    110.3 KB · Views: 4
  • BUNNY CLOUSER.jpg
    BUNNY CLOUSER.jpg
    73.4 KB · Views: 4
  • BUNNY CLOUSER1.jpg
    BUNNY CLOUSER1.jpg
    65.4 KB · Views: 3
  • BUNNY CLOUSER2.jpg
    BUNNY CLOUSER2.jpg
    74.4 KB · Views: 3
  • BUNNY CLOUSER4.jpg
    BUNNY CLOUSER4.jpg
    66.3 KB · Views: 5
  • BUNNY CLOUSER3.jpg
    BUNNY CLOUSER3.jpg
    62 KB · Views: 3
Those look great. Tie up some deceivers. I would be worried that with the dumbbell eyes and the zonker strip that they could get heavy and difficult to cast.

Those look great. Tie up some deceivers. I would be worried that with the dumbbell eyes and the zonker strip that they could get heavy and difficult to cast.

These will be chucked on an 8, 9, or 10 wt, so Im not thinking it should be that big of issue. Maybe on a 6wt though.

Nice ties Mike.

GenCon

Yep, they'll work.....for both bass and walleyes.

Try adding a tail sometime .

http://www.frankenfly.com/chuck-furimskys-turbo-tail/

Nice flies, Mike. I would bet they would make good shad flies, too.

If you talk to Bob Clouser one of the most important thing he always stresses when tying his fly, is to tie in the dumbbell 1/3 of the shank back from the eye of the hook.

The flies you tied above will act more like jigs, and will have a more head down/up-and-down motion in the water.

The secret sauce, if you will, to the fly is to tie the dumbbell well back on the shank to balance out the fly so imparts a gliding motion in the water, more like a baitfish swimming.

Below is a video of Bob Clouser tying his fly. Check out the first minute or two of the video:

mike_richardson wrote:
I may have to add weight on them in the future after I see how they cast.

IMO, with Clouser minnows it is usually a better strategy to tie them more sparsely than to add weight.

Thanks for the solid tips guys.

'twas cool to see Bob tie one up. I've been putting my dumbells too close to the eye!!!

One thing that I do differently that might be interesting or something you guys might want to try sometime.... I wrap the hook shank with flash (like you would a rainbow warrior or epoxy minnow) and UV coat it, and then opt out from tying in flash under the back hair. It makes the fly a little more understated and provides a nice lateral line. I do them both ways tho.

Back