Cleaning your gear

mute

mute

How do you guys go about keeping your rod/reel in shape after a days outing? Running them under warm water and drying?

Putting them somewhere that I won't step on them.

By putting them back in their cases, where they belong

heh

huh?

good idea to wipe off your rod and let it dry before putting it back in it's tube, don't want moldy cork
also, good idea to rinse off your reel and let it dry. sometimes grit and sand gets inside a reel if it's dropped/put down while fishing. you don't want that crud in there. good idea to take off the spool and regrease once in a while. use hotsauce, good stuff for reels, google it.
now is the time to do your yearly maintenance, wipe off rods and give em a coat of carnuba car wax, cork too, won't hurt it. clean and lube your reels. I usually do these tasks with some good tunes playing and either a nice microbrew cracked or a glass of single malt, takes the winter blues away for a spell
oh, don't forget to clean your line, once in winter, a couple times throughout the season, a clean line is a happy line!

Case or on the rack, I don't really clean it -- especially the cork.

it's all personal preference of course. I like to keep mine polished up, I have and fish rods that are 40-60 years old, they were taken care of and are still wonderful tools to fish with. most flyfishing gear is quality stuff that will last a lifetime, maybe more.

After a trip:

Rod: mild detergent in warm water, wipe down rod, rinse with cool water, and since last year or so when someone else mentioned that Sage advises it, a lemon furniture polish wipe down.

I also wash the cork handle. I got it in my head years ago that if wine bottles should be stored on their side so as to not dry out the cork, then a cork rod handle should get wet periodically as well. Maybe that's apples to oranges thinking, but since when are fishermen known to think rationally in all things?

I also use the furniture polish on my landing net handle and around the loop, staying off the net itself. I just started doing this after getting a new landing net, after losing the predecessor somewhere along the Letort (didn't catch anything, either).

Reel. All of mine are standard Medalists. If there has been a submergence or if I hear something gritty sounding or squeaky, I check to see if working parts need oil or grease (Abu Garcia). If there is mud or other surface grime, I prefer WD-40--no detergents.

All reels get a cleaning and lube/oil before the season (meaning I should be doing it now), and then whatever may need touched up during the season.

Lines can be controversial --go with the manufacturer advice.

Prevention is the best medicine, so I try to keep my reel out of the water, dirt, etc. Granted, that's not always possible, but I try to do my best. Leaving all that moisture in the tight wrapped backing is just asking for problems IMO.

I generally give everything a good wipe down upon returning and then store the rod and reel in its case, hung on the wall. I try to clean my line after each outing, but it typically goes no longer than every-other-outing. This is a wipe down and cleaning with fly line cleaner like the SA stuff.

Reels get a periodic review and appropriate lube.

My opinion is that fly fishing gear is just like everything else: the better care you take of it, the better care it will take of you! :-D

DGC,

My medalist has been on the sidelines for most of the season. It has all one pfoot internals (done by someone else), and the metal piece that interacts with the drag plate broke. Right now I'm lookin into how to fix it so I can have it back in service by spring. Anyone know what I need?

Modern reels won't balance my boo.

If I've fished in the rain, I do leave my rod and reel out to dry for a day before I put them in their cases.
I also leave my fly boxes open on a sunny window sill to dry out, before putting them back in my vest

pcray,

It's not clear to me which part you need.

Unfortunately, I lack the tech skills needed to label these parts, but it sounds like you need either:

1. the spool bushing (from the spool)

or,

2. the click pawl that is underneath the ratchet (and therefore not shown)

Shown is a Medalist 1495, late 60's Akron. A 1494 would be the same layout.

Ratchet = Black Delrin Donut with the 8 notches

If you have access to a parts list that would help. It hasn't changed much in 40 years.

BTW, I have many photographs of the cleaning sequence readily available.

is it the piece that fits inside the spool?
post a pic of the broken part if you can. pfoot should have the part. might also be worth buying a new one just for parts, they don't cost much and it's nice to have spares.

good to see other medalist users here, I love mine, problem is I keep buying them everytime I see them at flea markets!

DGC wrote:

Ratchet = Black Delrin Donut with the 8 notches

What's the name/material of teh break that presses into the doughnut, and more importantly, how can I give mine a new lease on life after its 40ish years of faithful service (to someone else)?

gfen,

If you mean the brass, smaller donut shown that holds down the ratchet, that is the ratchet bearing. If you mean the pawl from underneath, you may need a new pawl spring. The pawl may also be worn. Or maybe it's out of alignment if you reversed the ratchet for RHW or LHW

Shakespeare sells parts, though I have never needed to buy from them. From conversations with others, you need to tell them you have an AK (Chinese) model or they wont sell you parts.

Fortunately, most of what they sell fits our 40-year old model.

keep em alive!

http://www.onepfoot.com/

DGC,

To be honest, I'm not sure. Not exactly a reel mechanic and I've never looked inside a medalist until now. The symptom is that the reel slips, like it misses maybe 1 out of every 3 clicks, both on reeling and when the drag is going. The sound is very noticable, but you can tell by feel as well when your reeling. Kind of a catch, slip, catch, slip.

I had it out last night to look at it, but I haven't got much time to really look up any parts lists or anything. On the back of the spool, there is a spring loaded little metal post sticking out, that appears would interact with the ratchet.

I don't have a "good" metal post to compare against, but it looks to me as if mine is badly chipped and mishapen. It also spins freely. If you push it in, it tends to stick inside because the chipped part is catching on the lip. Pretty sure this is my problem. I can take a picture this evening if that would help.

Hadn't yet gotten around to lookin for parts, but maybe you can save me some time and tell me what I need to get?

This will likely tick off a few people.

onepfoot sells metal ratchets as replacements for the Delrin ratchet. However, the spool bushing since the mid 60's is intended to go with a Delrin plastic ratchet. The same is likely true of the pawl, though onepfoot sells one of those as well that is probably fine. I never thought it was a good idea to go with all metal on the pawl and ratchet since it seemed to me that would make them much noisier.

I think the cosmetic onepfoot products, such as the round line guard, are fine. But for the functional parts that wear, I think you should be cautious.

never tried the metal drag plates, but I also wondered about the wear of the other parts.
pcray, it might be possible to GENTLY file/grind the imperfection on the post. there is a spring inside that assy that keeps the post engaged on the drag plate, taking the cover off the front of the spool allows access to the post, allowing you to push it out. also, those drags don't like a lot of grease, just a very light coating.

Back