Clarion river to Parker

M

MBJRL

I just treated myself to a drift boat and am looking for some new adventures. I have run up the Clarion a few miles in a jet but would like to do a float trip down to the mouth and take out in Parker.

I would like to do a dawn to dusk trip but have no idea of any places to put in. Can anyone help me out?

Not surprised that nobody responded. The guys that fish there seem to be pretty tight lipped. Come on guys, help out a little.

Well, speaking for myself - I've never fished the river below the cook forest area. And that's where the OP wants to know about I believe.

One thing I do know though. There is a Piney Dam on the lower river.
I-80 crosses over the lake, and I've seen it from there. So any float trip would have to be from below that dam, down to the mouth at the allegheny. No idea how far that it is though

Thanks guys,I am a little surprised at the lack of feedback. I'm not going to burn anyones spot,heck come with me. I always have room for another angler

Thanks krayfish2

I wouldn't assume that people are holding out.

It's very possible that no one on this board fishes that section.

If you Google "lower Clarion River fish populations" you will find a pdf document from the state with info on studies done on that section of the river.

In a brief look, it seemed to be that the pH levels are on the low side, from mine drainage, and that game fish populations are low also. They found some suckers and chubs, and a few smallmouth, but it looks like VERY few.

But, things can change, and they survey at certain spots, not the whole river. If the fishing pressure is low there, you might find some big old fish.

Regarding access, I found info on River Trail maps for the upper and middle Clarion, and that website said they don't have a River Trail map for the lower Clarion because of very limited public access.

But, the maps show places where the road is alongside the river, and some bridge crossings, so there may be "casual access" at some of those places.

It sounds like a good exploration trip. Go for it.

I agree. While there are a number of us who fish the river, it is further upstream where the water is more fertile from the alkaline water releases from the paper plant in Johsonburg. I will be up there in a couple of weeks, but it will be on the sections of the river that are known for their trout and smallmouth fishing. Even in those sections the fishing can be challenging. There are times when you would think that the Clarion is a dead river and other times when it seems to come alive with trout and bass. This time of year the East Branch fishes well and the West Branch if it is not too low. The Main stem CR area has access challenges, but there is a chance of some big wild browns there. The area below Ridgway can be waded or floated depending on the flows and also fishes well.

Thanks guys, The bottom mile of the clarion has always turned on for smallmouth when the river gets stained and running high. I would go up and down the banks and look for clear water running off the bank into the river.These little springs would always hold fish up close the bank. I dont have my jet now as I got away from tourny bass fishing.Now its just me against the fish not the other anglers.

" As of June 2011, there is no legal developed boat access to the Clarion River downstream of
Piney Dam. Access sites below Piney Dam marked on earlier versions of the Clarion River
Water Trail Map were never approved by landowners and many of these sites are now marked
with no trespassing signs. There is no public land along this stretch of the Clarion River, so
designated access will be critical to encourage public use while minimizing trespassing conflicts
with landowners. "
Sr 2007 crosses the river at Piney creek, there is some parking there, that wasn't posted in May, I'm not sure how easy it would be to launch a boat. There is also some places to park further west past the bridge. Sr 3007 Canoe ripple rd, crosses below canoe creek. Def parking and probably easier launching. Once again, not posted in May. I've canoed from Piney dam to canoe creek, but way earlier in the season. Had some luck, but did way better walking up some of the tribs, than in the actual river. There is parking below the dam and some undeveloped places to launch. With fishing it took all of 4-5 hours to to get to Canoe Creek. If your doing a day trip to Parker, I would launch further down stream than the dam. KIM, It's 26 miles from the dam to the confluence.
My biggest concern this time of year would be river levels. The river gets flat and wide in some areas and you may be doin some dragging. The USGS is your friend, use it.

Maybe give a call to ...lazy river canoe rental .. in Ridgway, owner Tim McClain builds his own drift boats, and guides with them, there are pics on their website, I did a canoe trip in early Sept and he said he had the drift boat at piney dam as the water level was low,

+1 on Lazy river. Great little shop with a great family running it. Plus they have a launch right in the backyard of the shop where u can launch or fish. Terrific people! They also have minnoes in winter when no one else does.

Back