Clarion River Frontage Protected

JackM

JackM

Staff member
As many people from Western PA know, this group does a lot of good in preserving natural areas. Remember them in your Estate Plan:

Conservancy acquires forest land in Clarion County
Friday, February 01, 2008
By Don Hopey, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

The Western Pennsylvania Conservancy has purchased 1,600 acres of land along the Clarion River, south of Cooksburg in Clarion County, and the timber rights on another 1,700 acres of land in the same area.

The conservancy said today it has also completed the purchase of a 2,300 acre tract of mature forest land along Laurel Hill Creek in Somerset County, and additional parcels totaling 450 acres in Jefferson and Forest counties.

All of the land and timber rights have been transferred to the state Department of Conservation and Natural Resources Bureau of Forestry for permanent protection. The forestry bureau will permit recreational uses such as camping, fishing and hiking on the lands.

The land purchases, which the conservancy is billing its "75th Anniversary Acquisitions," to commemorate the organization's 75 years of protecting the state's "most valuable" wild and scenic lands, were made with an $8 million grant from the Richard King Mellon Foundation and $4.5 million from DCNR.

That is great. They have done more than any other organization for fish and fisherman in the areas of PA that I fish even though they are about more than just fishing.

FYI - I have worked with some people at WPC to get enable you to donate your Ebay sales to WPC using a service called Missionfish. (Sponsored by ebay - ebay waives listing fees in proportion to you % donation) Because conservation is 9/10 about money IMHO. So sell those rods and reels in your closet. Raise some cash for the rivers, fish, and your fishing. (and a possible tax deduction)

I'm a member of the Western Pennsylvania Conservancy, - I really think that my dues to them is put to better use than than my TU membership dues
They really are doing great things for all outdoors people

Back