Chutes

NewSal

NewSal

Most videos I watch and most chutes I seen tied have the dull side of the hackle facing down.

I've found that I really prefer, and tie my own chutes with the dull side facing up, this allows the natural curve of the hackle to curve away from the fly and allows the body to ride lower in the film, emerger style if you will.

IMO dull side down makes the body ride a little higher, although the finished flies kind of look better this way I dont necessarily like the way they sit on the water.

Anyone else tie there chutes with dull side up? Am I the only odd ball here?

I tie mine dull side down.
Been doing it that way so long though, that I can't really recall why. Maybe just because they look better to me like that.
Your thoughts are interesting - and make sense.

For conventional hackling, I was taught to put the dull side forward. My tying instructor me that the fly rides better that way.
Although I've seen and heard many people say that they like to put the shiny side forward.
Makes me wonder if it even makes any difference

After watching a Flagler video on tying small, sz 22 Adams parachute I started tying dull side up. I never really gave it a thought before that but it seemed like they would lay nice on the water that way. So I just now watched his video on tying a light cahill parachute. He tied the hackle in dull side down.

Interesting thoughts guys, keep em coming.

fritz, you're right about Flaglers videos, I watched two of his and he tied both with dull side down so I assumed he tied all of his chutes this way, which is interesting that on the small sz 22 he tied it with dull side up.

Its nice to know I'm not the odd ball here, I also asked a shop owner who will remain nameless on here anyways, and he said that he ties his dull side down, and that most older guys tie that way.

To me having the body ride lower in the water via dull side up is preferable for sure.

I tie mine dull side down, allowing the bend of the hackle to support the fly.

I also think the hackle points touching the water better represent the ends of the legs supporting the natural.

This is an interesting discussion. However, as with most things related to fly tying, the discussion is based upon our perceptions, not those of the fish. For example, regardless of how which side of the hackle is facing up, how long do you think it will be before most of the hackle and body are in or below the meniscus?

I guess what I'm getting as is we have the theoretical and the practical. The real, tangible benefit of either method lies in the confidence one has in the tie and whether it is fished with confidence or not.

Just some balancing thoughts.

In any case, it's an interesting discussion. Leave it to fly tiers to get so granular. ;)

MKern wrote:
I tie mine dull side down, allowing the bend of the hackle to support the fly.

I also think the hackle points touching the water better represent the ends of the legs supporting the natural.

I tie mine like this and this is the traditional way of tying parachutes for the same reasons.

Fly-Swatter wrote:

I guess what I'm getting as is we have the theoretical and the practical. The real, tangible benefit of either method lies in the confidence one has in the tie and whether it is fished with confidence or not.

This is true, and I think this is true with all things fly fishing. But talking about fly patterns is much easier.

I prefer dull side up. It works best for me do to the way I tie fly off.

GenCon

Back