Chunky Caddis Pupa

zenherper

zenherper

I found a cool pattern on YT and thought I would give it a try. I am new to tying, but open to suggestions. I see much more detail in the pictures after the tie is finished than I do when I am tying. I notice the ribbing is a little off and can obviously use some work there. It is supposed to be a caddis pupa. The materials are:

Hook - TCO Scud hook
Thread - Yellow 8/0
Body - Green Spanflex
Lead Wire
Rib - Small Green wire and Yellow Ostrich herl
Dubbing - Hares Ear (mix of natural and black fibers)
Wing/Casing - Yellow Wood Duck

Disclaimer: jdaddy has been my only tying mentor, so blame him if it sucks.

Attachments

• Chunky Caddis b.jpg
    Chunky Caddis b.jpg
    579.7 KB · Views: 13
  • Chunky Caddis2 b.jpg
    Chunky Caddis2 b.jpg
    489.3 KB · Views: 5
  • Chunky Caddis3 b.jpg
    Chunky Caddis3 b.jpg
    384 KB · Views: 3
Great looking caddis!

Jdaddy sucks at tying, so I blame him for your horrible pattern. Just kidding, it looks buggy, so it will work. Possibly not so much hares ear. I am new to tying as well, so take my opinion with a grain of salt.

Nice job Zenherper. This can be a tricky fly to tie especially for a beginning tyer. I had good luck with a slight variation on this pattern this year. I couldn't routinely get the legs to sit right using Davey's method (he makes everything look easy) so I switched to a soft hackle. : Soft hackle chunky caddis
Mike.

Come on now. Jdaddy taught you how to whip finish and that's about it. Lol.

They look good. As you noted ribbing is a little off but it matters more to us than the fish.

How did you land on yellow?

Was wondering the same thing.

jdaddy wrote:
Come on now. Jdaddy taught you how to whip finish and that's about it. Lol.

They look good. As you noted ribbing is a little off but it matters more to us than the fish.

How did you land on yellow?

Actually, whether you know it or not, you also taught me how to lock down materials (like wings, etc...) to the hook. That loose wrap trick has helped me tremendously.

The yellow materials came from TCO in Reading. The ostrich herl fibers are a little longer than I would like, but I couldn't find yellow peacock herl, as the recipe calls for.

Thank you everybody, for your feedback so far.

FrequentTyer wrote:
Nice job Zenherper. This can be a tricky fly to tie especially for a beginning tyer. I had good luck with a slight variation on this pattern this year. I couldn't routinely get the legs to sit right using Davey's method (he makes everything look easy) so I switched to a soft hackle. : Soft hackle chunky caddis
Mike.

FT, Thanks for sharing that. I really like the color variations. I will also try this with the soft hackle.

Back