Christmas is coming!

albatross

albatross

I think my wife would really like to get me a nice 9 foot 4 weight for Christmas this year.

I see that the Redington Super Sport is now discontinued and on clearance for somewhat reasonable prices. Does anyone have experience with this rod? Would I like it in a 4 weight?

I believe the Redington CPS is also being discontinued with some bargains available. Anyone familiar with this rod?

albatross,

I have a Redington 9' 4 wt that I got this spring. Unfortunately I don't remember the series. When I get a chance I'll double check for you. I like the rod quite a bit as I can handle a fair amount of line with it. I have had no compaints with either of my Redington rod. Hope this helps.

Steve

Alby,

You've got a PM.

I don't have any direct experience with those rods but have read good things about the CPS. I like most of the redington rods I have and have had good experiences with their customer service too.

Alby,

FYI, Cabela's has Redington CPS fly rods on Sale ($199). Also, the Sage Fli is on sale ($175). I’ve never cast the Redington rods, but the Sage Fli is a nice fast action rod, and is a definitely a bargain at $175. The Cabela’s store is kinda far for you to travel to test cast the rods, but maybe you can find them somewhere locally, or maybe it’s a good excuse for a road trip. Good luck.

Edit: Sorry, I just looked at the Sage sale page and they are all sold out! I guess people know a bargain when they see one.

Redington Sale @ Cabela's

Thanks everyone. It looks like I can pick up a Redington CPS or a Sage FLi for around $200 online. I also got a PM offer to build a sweet custom rod for me for under $300. My wife will be glad to have so many good options!
:)

If your going to spend over 200.00 then you should certainly go with a custom. However, if that route doesn't suit you then I'd suggest you look at the TFO rod lines. They're best rods on the market for the price, of course you first have to get over the "imported" tag but if your looking at a Reddington, your already there.

good luck
matt

Alby,
Go custom. It gives you a chance to make the rod to your liking by being able to get components that no factory rod has. I feel like the custom rods I had made for me are mine and not just another fishing rod. I didn't actually build them but I picked every guide, the color of the wraps, type of handle, etc. Plus you can get downlocking reel seats that very few rod companies offer. It may be me but I like having the weight of the reel as close to the butt as possible. Feels more natural to me.

I'm a fan of the TFO rod series. I have a 8wt TFO rod that I use for Steelhead and it works beautifully. Slinging lead is one thing, but I use it in big bass lakes because I can cast it a mile! I did last year break the tip off of it and the customer service is INCREDIBLE. Most manufacturers take up to a few months to get a busted rod back and mine was back in about 2 weeks! Good luck giving info to your wife about a nice christmas gift, gives me some ideas :)

I can vouch for TFO's service too. $25 and shipping the rod is all it took.

They upgraded me to a more expensive model at no cost since the one I had was discontinued. I got the rod as part of their first national release years ago. It's been my favorite rod as long as I've been fishing.

Regardless of how sickening it is to see Lefty on that SRC video that afish posted, he backs a good product in TFO. Sure, they are made overseas. But guess what-- I'm broke.

There are a ton of decent moderate and slower action rods out there at a good price. But, if you like faster rods in the mid-priced range, I agree with Jay that TFO is one of the best performing rods for the price. They are a little heavier than the high-end rods, and the components are not the best, but they perform well. As Jay said, if you care about such things, you may have to you’re your nose when buying since they are foreign made, and Lefty Kreh, a supporter of the SRC, is involved with TFO.

Also, I've heard from people I respect that Redington also makes some decent fast action rods. Just for the record, Redington is owned by Sage, but is also foreign made.

As always, cast the rod before you buy. Good luck.

Got the Redington CPS 9 foot 4 weight on sale from Cabelas for $150 with free shipping. Its gonna be a very merry Christmas!

good deal...I mentioned that sale in the other thread...glad someone bought one...

Thanks Tom. I did see your other post.

Its here but my wife won't let me open it till Christmas.

that's harsh...I got my chest pack last year like that and said "give it to me for christmas" then It sat in the secret place until then...then she forgot to wrap it and give it to me...I had to go dig it out the next day...talk about a buzz kill.

Back