Chota durability

jayL

jayL

I bought a pair of Chota Abrams Creek wading boots a little over a year ago. In October, they started to crack, and as of yesterday, were coming apart completely.

Has anyone had experience with something like this? Has anyone dealt with Chota's customer support?

I have contacted them, and will report back.

I had the same thing happen with the Abrams Creek. Just over a year, yup. Sides cracked to the point where I could stick most of a hand in and grab my foot, lol. Both feet. Other boots have held up similarly for me, notably the Cabela's ultralights did the exact same thing. The STL's went almost triple that, which makes it my best to date, but eventually suffered the same fate.

I didn't bother with customer support, just bought new ones.

Wading is hard on leather, the constant wet/dry cycles. I just started treating the leather with leather conditioner like you would a hunting boot. Yet to see how that works out. I suspect I'll really have to keep at it to make any difference, not the once a year treatment my hunting boots get. I also suspect that I'll fail to do so.

My stl's are going strong...under a year's use, but doing well.

the stl's I had previously were the longest lasting boot's I've owned...the felts were their undoing. If I recall correctly, it was 3 years for the originals and 1 year for 2 different replacement felts = 4 years total and the leather was not cracked although it had shrunk.

My STL's lasted a year an a half before I had to sew the leather on the toe back to the mesh tongue and body material. I replaced the felts too more than once. I sewed the twice total but they lasted me four years...the best of any boots yet for me.

I am on my 2 year anniversary of my Korkers. Replaced felts a few times...not entire soles but just the felt, I had some lying around. Added studs using roofing nails too once. Worked good. Now they are wearing in the mesh areas. GOtta figure how to patch them bnefore they are too far gone.

jayL wrote:
All,

I bought a pair of Chota Abrams Creek wading boots a little over a year ago. In October, they started to crack, and as of yesterday, were coming apart completely.

Has anyone had experience with something like this? Has anyone dealt with Chota's customer support?

I have contacted them, and will report back.

Chota durability is a problem...Had a fishing buddy who bought a pair of size 14 wading boots; he's a big muv, any way, damm boots started breaking down in just a matter of months..Remember Chota prides it's self on comfort, so..

I own an older pair of Chota muck boots and could not be happier with them...

The trick with the Chota wading boots is to size up an inch and a half...

I am going to see what they will do.

They weren't incredibly expensive, but cheaper boots lasted at least two years before I got the chotas.

jay your fishing too damn much ! give em a break for pete sake , they're tired !

JayL,

Just send them back..Tell them you are Jay from paflyfishing forum..lol

CHOTA LIMITED 1-YEAR WARRANTY

Chota Outdoor Gear warrants that all of its products will be free from any defects in materials or workmanship for a period of one year from the date of purchase. Returns should be sent to:
Chota Outdoor Gear
2926-A Byington Solway Rd
Knoxville, TN 37931

Jay I had a pair of orvis lightweights for 2 plus years and their still going strong :-D

My first pair of Chotas lasted 4 years. the sole came off and I sent them back for repair. They were so bad off that they replaced them,cost me $65 for new ones.I spoke to the owner several time re: laces etc. nice folks.I'd like to try a pair of the new studded rubber soled boots.Said Nic? wax to waterproofthem.

Chota has been a pleasure to deal with thus far.

I have been in email contact with a rep, and I will be shipping the boots back on Monday.

They have a 1 year limited warranty, but my "about a year" estimate was enough. I even failed to provide the proper lot number to them, as the tag on the inside is faded. I figured that would kill my case.

I give the customer service an A+ so far, and will report back.

glad to hear it

I'm not suprised..The better product lines always deliver on service..

My experience with the Abrams Creek and Citico Creek boots has been the same - upper wears out fast. I think the reason the STL's last longer is because they are leather whereas the lower priced models are not.

I have always loved the Chota sole for it's stability and comfort. I don't mind wearing out a $79 pair of boots every year.

I have had a pair of chota's that I've used for the last 3 years. Aside from the "quick" laces and the studs. Nothing has worn out or become damaged.

Are your boots synthetic or leather? Mine are leather and are still in top shape.

Kev

I have a pair of Patagonia Riverwalkers that are two years old and still going strong. A buddy of mine had the same boot as I do and did have one of them come apart where the leather upper meets the sole. He sent them back to patagonia and they replaced them no questions asked and at no cost to him they even paid postage. He fishes a good deal more than I do and his were 3 years old when this happened. Another friend of mine had older Chotas which also came apart, he sent them back and they ended up giving him a new pair but at a discounted price.

Good luck!

Back