Chest Wader with zippers

L

Lkyboots

I'm getting old and don't bend well, I was looking at chest waders that have a zipper. Wonder if they're easier to get on and off.

I’m a big guy (6’4” and 290) and I find them much easier to get on and of. Also love being able to answer nature’s call without having to take my vest and chest pack off.

I have been looking at the new Simms Freestone Zippers myself. I checked them out at the fly fishing show and they seemed pretty solid. They come in around 300 I believe, which would put them quote a bit cheaper than other zipper offerings from Patagonia or Simms.

Ordered a pair from Dryft waders, haven't come in yet but will let you know how they fit. They weren't cheap but should be easier to get on and off.

Bill Anderson of LJRA will add a zipper to your existing waders for $80. Seems like he gets a lot of good reviews on his work.

https://troutbitten.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/12/EZ-P-Wader-Zipper.pdf

Check out the Hodgman zippered waders.
I saw them at the Edison Fly Fishing Show and thought they looked nice for the price.

http://www.hodgman.com/hodgman-waders-chest-waders/hodgman-aesis-sonic-zip-stocking-foot/1347860.html#gclid=CjwKCAiAy-_iBRAaEiwAYhSlAwJLEz3yQVeY10u6VmAJVu7io_cyFXUWWga7P3qsa22tStJLGepmFRoCFWMQAvD_BwE&start=9

Just tried on the Dryft waders, nice fit and loved getting in and out with the zipper. Won't be bad when I gotta take a leak. I'm hard to fit because I'm short and stout, nice word for fat, but I got the Xtra large short and they fit great. They got a nice selection of sizes. Paid $400.00, not the cheapest but not that expensive. They have some nice pockets and hand warmer pockets. Worth a look if you want a zipper.

Been using Simms G4Z's for about 5 years now.
Well worth having IMO.
Besides being easier to put on, and take a leak in - putting the zipper down when making lengthy walks along the stream on hot days is another plus. Makes that more cool and comfy

Wow, i wasnt expecting the hodgemans to come in at 400, they look nice. Hodgeman has stepped up their game i guess

I've been using convertible waders for close to ten years now. Waist high waders with just a belt always creeped down on me. Convertibles fold down to waist high while still utilizing the suspenders.

In the down position they are easy to put on (and are good for peeing without any trouble :oops: ) They are cooler in the summer and can be pulled up chest high for deep wading as well as adding warmth in the cold weather. I swear by them, and will never buy any other type of wader.

I have been using zippered waders for a long time.
Some random thoughts:
1)when putting them on or off,be careful not to spread your knees too far,as it might compromise the zipper

2)to the best of my knowledge,all zippered waders now,regardless of price point,use a zipper made by one Italian company.The"new" zippers of the past 5 years or so ,are VERY reliable from a leaking point of view,whereas 10+ years ago ,not so reliable

3)Please be aware :when you use zippered waders,and you pee say 4 times in a 6 hour period,you will usually pee 2 times in the same time period,Just saying...it's been my experience and I have heard a few friends confirm this quirk of human nature:)

Back