Chest Packs, Over the Shoulder Packs

JakesLeakyWaders

JakesLeakyWaders

Bought a White River chest pack today at Bass Pro. Normally $44.95, but Bobby Jr. threw in a little discount from last weeks special. Thanks! They sell the fishpond one too but for the extra money and style it wasn't worth my extra twenties. I was just looking for something not so big and bulky but able to carry what I would have in my vest. I realized that the vest I wear is too uncomfortable to wear in late spring and summer when it is hot, and my four pocket Columbia shirts don't quite hold what I need in a day's fishing. So I bought it and every thing from flies to flotant leaders and tippet etc. fit nicely in a few zippered compartments. Extra big zippers and the front pouch acts as an extra fly box. It zippers open and folds down and has a foam insert. It will be nice on hot days when I want to wear Shortsleeves, Shorts and Sandals as I wont sweat as much, and still not have to leave any gear behind. It is quite small and holds enough that it isn't a compromise. Also it is less conspicuous in the car/truck so wifey doesn't know If im sneaking to the local stream...Maybe.

I have an Orvis pack and it digs into my shoulders. I'll have to check it out. I like to get a Williams and Joseph Confluence pack. They are super light, but expensive. They have a new series of magnetic closure packs that are leak proof. Want to check that out too. I'll probably keep the pack I have for this season, it's like brand new. I'm not loving it but I think the packs will change allot just between this year and next. We'll see how much my shoulders complain. Let us know how comfy your pack is. Might be a good option for me.

The pack I got has a shoulder cushion I didn't want anything bigger because I didn't want to notice any anoying pulling on or digging into my neck or shoulders. It seems comfortable enough. It is all loaded up and adjusted for wearing over my shoulder so I swing it around front for entry and swing it back when done. I'm trying to be more mobile. I might put some extra miles in this year and I sure as hell don't don't want to have to wear that vest. It' kind of embarrassing when you get off the stream take off your vest on a hot day and your drenched in sweat from you shoulders to your pants.....and uncomfortable.

I have a Fishpond San Juan chest pack that I like. Its a minimalist pack so it holds some flies and a few other things but does not hold as much as i can cram into my vest. Its nice for days when i dont want to bring the whole house out on a stream.

I picked up a William Joseph Solo pack when they were on sale at Cabelas for $25. Seems like it's gonna work out nicely for wading the Schuylkill for smallmouth or Salmon / Steelhead trips to New York.

I picked up the exact same pack a few months back and have been loving it. I have most of the items I had in my vest in the chest pack. Very comfortable and minimalistic in nature. I bought this shortly after Christmas when I got an Orvis Super Tac-L vest. I'm still waiting to get questioned on why I'm not using the vest I got for Christmas! :-? I'm not quite sure what my answer will be! :-D Perhaps it's that I found myself packing everything but the kitchen sink in my vest...

431-165-02.jpg

I have some form of all three and still searching for the right setup.

Currently laynard for tippet,nippers,license,floatant,hemos. Use a medium sized form box I put in my jacket or shirt pocket. Keep weights and a couple indicators in my waders pocket.

I am a big fan of the fishpond Blue River Chest pack. I have had mine for a couple of years now and it has served me very well

i like my chest pack its a cheapo from gander mntn its a back pack and chest pack.... the only downside of it it rides on my belly as i am a bigger gentleman in the 6'3" 350 lb range so i cant see where i put my feet as i am wading but if thats the only gripe i have i guess its nothing it hasnt caused me to fall in yet....... :D

Back