Chest Pack Question(s)

J

jadorus

I've went from an original Orvis Safe Passage chest pack to a Simms Classic Guide Vest. Now that I've fished with it for a while, I find when I load the back up for a longer day trip (gear, lunch, water, etc) the weight is rather bothersome and it certainly does not distribute weight well at all...

I really miss my chest pack's weight and comfort, but my Dad has "inherited" it now! I was looking to get a new chest pack for my birthday here in a couple weeks, and I think I've narrowed it down to a handful. I was hoping my fine co-PA-flyfishermen have some incite/suggestion for me...

1. Watermark Drake (or Midge) Chest Pack - I prefer the Drake I think because of the increased backpack size, but I'm not outruling the Midge. The only thing I see lacking on this are built in zingers, net loop, and possibly a "lack of room" issue with the chest pack. The Watermark stuff is on an insane sale at Cabelas right now on closeout (Drake -> $30.00, Midge -> $25.00) which is rather attractive.

2. Fishpond High Country - This (and all of their packs) sound like the real deal. The only hesitation I have here is dropping $150.00 on a chest pack...

3. William Joseph Escape - This looks like it has a massive amount of storage, but their site lists the weight at 13 lbs which seems absurd when going to a chest pack for comfort! I have to believe that that "13" lbs should really be "3" lbs.

Aside from that, generally I'm looking for something with good chest pack storage that also allows back pack storage for my long steelhead days or all day trout excursions. Preferably, the back pack detachable so I don't have to carry it needlessly when I don't need to (partial trout/bass days in warm weather).

I may be asking a lot here out of a single product, but I'd love to hear other peoples' opinions before buying!

Thanks in advance...

I have a Watermark Drake that I've been pretty happy with. I carry 3 large flyboxes, 2 small fly boxes, and a streamer wallet in the chest pack along with everthing else I need at hand. There is plenty of room in the back for the rest of my flies and all the stuff I just might need. It doesn't come with a hydration bladder, but it is built for one ($10 at Wallyworld). I especially like having the hydration bladder, I can just take sip from the hose when I get thirsty.

I own these two packs the first is my trout vest and the second one is my bass vest I don't leave home without them :-D

http://www.orvis.com/store/productchoice.aspx?pf_id=53XR&feature_id=&dir_id=758&group_id=781&cat_id=5093&subcat_id=6670

http://www.orvis.com/store/productchoice.aspx?pf_id=96YT&feature_id=&dir_id=758&group_id=781&cat_id=5093&subcat_id=6670

Not exactly what your looking for, but I've become absolutely sold on my Richardson. The other "boxes" look very similar, except lower cost materials and a lower price tag. Some are even more flexible as far as adding trays.

It's really the perfect set up. The box (3-tray model) holds more flies than I ever thought possible. Its easy to keep them organized, and I know longer have the decision of which boxes to take, I have everything all the time. Its much quicker and easier to snap open a tray and grab the fly you want than it is to dig around for fly boxes, find the fly you need from several boxes (which were inevitably disorganized for me), and then stuff the box back where it came from. It holds my floatant handy. Zingers on the straps for nippers, forceps, and leader straightener. A small pouch on the belt or velcroed to the front holds tippet, shot, and keys. And its amazingly light and compact, its really helped my back out a lot, and kept me a lot cooler when its hot out.

Sure, it was a hefty price tag. But I'll probably never buy another fly box. For years I couldn't figure out the "perfect" system, and I think I've come as close as possible. On longer trips with lunch or a change of clothes along I'll carry a small backpack as well, but I'm finding thats the minority of my trips. I'd rather have what I ALWAYS need close and handy, and be able to add capacity if needed.

See JustFish's thread below dated 6/17. Hopefully that will help.

http://www.fishpondusa.com/waterdance.cfm

this is what I have...great for the waist pack...but if the water gets high i'll wear it on my chest...not exactly low profile though...

I'm with pcray on this one.
However, I have a down's box -- a little cheaper than the richardson, but with all the accessories it does get pretty pricy. I think I have over $250 in mine, but everything is garrenteed for life and is actually very comfortable, especially with the backpack ($50).
I can hold 1000's of flies and still have room, plus everything is at hand.

Chest packs make great Xmas gifts!!!!

The Drake is an awesome back pack with a so-so chest pack. The price from Cabelas cant be beat though.

I bought one and hybridized it with my WJ Gear Bag Chest. it was pretty simple and didnt take very long.

http://www.talkflyfishing.com/index.php?showtopic=17628

Thanks everyone for your advice. I went with the Drake from Cabelas (couldn't turn down the price), and I put all of my stuff in it and I think it's going to work out great!

Again, thanks everyone for your time!

Back