Chest Fly Box Question

C

Chet2134

I am looking at buying a chest fly box in the near future.

Wanted to know what type of setup everybody uses (vest with chest box, backpack with chest box, nothing but chest box......) to hold everything.

Just trying to save myself a little trial and error once i get my own.

Also, any suggestions between richardson vs downs other than the $$$ would be appreciated.

Thanks.

I got a downs about 6-7 years ago and fished with it for 2.5 seasons. The first season I only used it, nothing else and it did a nice job of helping me not carry too much junk that I didn't need, but still a lot of flies (which I really didn't need either). The next season and a half I used it and a vest because I missed carrying all of my extra junk (and the associated back ache that came along with my 1000 pound vest.) The following season I went back to just a vest and boxes and the associated back ache. A season after that I converted to a Chapman bag and absolutely love it. I can carry everything I did in a vest and not have the back ache.

Specifically about the chest box:

I liked how many flies I could carry in compartment style boxes.
I was able to figure out how to carry tippet spools, floatant, forcepts, nippers, extra leaders and a light. A net was a bit more of a challenge, but I figured it out too.

What I didn't like was after fishing in rain, which it actually rained back then, a ton of the compartments got wet inside, which wasn't a problem when using all other methods of carrying my flies. It was a royal pain in the a$$ to find a place in the house to open all of the boxes to let them dry out (I have pets who think flies are pretty cool).

I did not like the boxes for nymphs or streamers at all.

With the 5 trays (most days 4) I found it a bit cumbersome to work around.

I did not like falling face first going up a streambank and landing on the box (not a scratch on the box, but a very nice square bruise on my ribs).

I didn't like how I had to carry extra equipment on the box because it all had to dangle from somewhere and that caused too many tangles, especially after dark. (this is why I moved to a vest and box combo-this really seemed counter productive to my ideas of having a chest box and I hate backpacks)

Currently the box sits in the bottom shelf of a fly tying material cabinet and gets in the way, so I'm sorry I have it at this point.

Before having the box I went through 3 different chest packs, none of them held enough flies for me so I went to the box. I also used vests before that.

I also have a Downs box and I am going through the trial and error phase right now. I've had the system for a while and have been using a vest along with it. I sent the downs system back simply because it was worn out and recieved a brand new system. Since the time I had with out it I thought of some better ways to utilize the boxes. I am going to install some of the small c&f inserts from the system boxes using velcro and I'm going to design a swing leaf and install a c&f insert w/ velcro at least on one side. This way the inserts will be removable for drying purposes as neither the downs or the richardson are water tight. Although, I believe, when all is said and done, I will have as much wrapped in it as a Richardson system in which case I would have been better off buying a Richardson from the very beginning. The Down's boxes are removable and I have compartment trays designated for each season for dry flies so all I have to do is switch the trays from season to season. I carry the above said box for nymphs that I carry all the time. I also carry a tray w/ inserts on the lid and on the bottom of the for midges and tiny flies all the time. I never carry more than three trays at a time because it is hard to work with that way. You can also buy two different harness systems for the down's boxes, side pouches and a bunch of different accessories to go with it. The Ricardson's can also be custom made to your preferances which if you don't want to do all that I have the richardson's are the way to go. I also on occassion will where a backpack for extra clothes, raingear, etc. This way it is easier to access by removing it. This all may sound very complictated and I guess maybe it is. I took alot of ideas and advise that worked for other people mostly form this web site dating all the way back to the beginning. Sure there are much much simpler ways and less complicated ways to this so what ever works for you. When it comes down to it just go fish and have a good time don't worry about the gear, there really is no bad idea different things work for different people.
Have Fun!
Tight Lines, Steve

I I have a Downs with all the bell and whistles: extra trays (9 in total), 2 gink holders (gink and xink), 2 side pouches, and the backpack. All in all, about $250.

I recomend at least adding the backpack, I know it's $50, but well worth the comfort.

I have never had water leak inside the compartments. I almost always fish with 4-5 trays. It takes some getting used to, but rarely gets in my way.

I like the idea of the c&f inserts, but that's extra work, and you'd have to get all streamer trays.

If I had to do it again, I'd like to think I'd get/use less trays, but reality tells me I do the exact same thing.

Down's are lifetime warrenty, cheaper, and the new owners of Hille's are extremely friendly and easy to get along with.

MKern,
How do you like the side pouches? I can't deside if I want to go the side pouches or a side pouch from another manufacturer.

I don't mind the side pouches at all. Matter of fact I store my large digital camera in one on my right side (and I cast righty) and it doesn't bother me. However, I could see how it's bulk would bother most anglers, because the weight of the camera cause the pouch to sid down every once in a while.

The other pouch carries my tippet spools, indicators, weight, dry fly leader, sun glasses, and often a snack, I have no idea that it's even there.

They aren't the most asthetic things, but have snaps to hold it and a belt loop, I like both of those features.

BTW, they also come in camo now -- if you are into camo stuff.

I have a Richardson.

Advantages and Disadvantages (my impressions):

Chest boxes overall: Light and easy on the back. Flies and floatant are immediately visible and available without sorting through pockets. Holds a lot of flies, especially if you use the lids. It's real quick and easy to open and close. But finding room to put all that little stuff, like keys, tippet, shot, nippers, etc. can be difficult. And some guys don't like things sticking out from their chest, as you can't see straight down. Try one on and you'll be able to tell if this bothers you immediately. For me, it doesn't cover anything my stomach doesn't cover anyway. :)

Downs: The ability to add and subtract trays on the fly is the biggest advantage. Won't go beyond that as I don't have one.

Richardson: Endless possibilities to customize when buying, but once its done, its done, thats what you got. I think the materials are a little nicer, and it looks classier (as opposed to plastic). I like that it seems to have more options on set up, including colors and what to put in each tray, compartments in this tray, foam in this one, can change the depth of each tray, etc. You can get removable ripple foam too, which sort of gives you quick change options approaching that of the Downs. Of course, the options are only there if you order, not if you just buy retail, and the orders takes months, and Richardson is more money than Downs.

I have the 3 tray model, and it holds an awful lot of flies. I was never a big compartment guy, so I have all strip foam, it holds more flies and effectively doubles the space by allowing you to use the lids on each tray for more flies. I have thought about getting C&F style slit inserts and gluing them in, but though it'd be an upgrade, I like what I have and I just haven't pulled the trigger yet. It has a leader wallet on one of the lids, which eliminates one lid for flies but it was worth it, I have pre-tied leaders ready at all times.

Floatant: Richardson has a holder, must specify brand.

License: Safety pinned to the strap on the back.

Nippers, Leader straightener, small tape measure, thermometer: Attached to side straps via zingers. Easy access and not in the way, but I do jingle on a full gate walk, yeah, I could do without that.

Forceps: Snip them to the upper strap, above the Richardson. Has not been a problem.

Shot, tippet, keys: I bought a waterproof camera case for on the belt, and they go in there.

Camera: This one was tricky. I have a waterproof camera case meant for snorkeling, you take pictures while still in the case. I velcroed the back of the case, and stick it to the front of the Richardson. It is easily accessible, cause in pockets the camera is never handy when you need it. But it sticks out pretty far and I don't like carrying it, and it will fall off on occasion, not when wading or walking, but if you jump off a 3 foot high rock or something. The case is pretty impact resistant and it floats, so the camera itself is pretty safe, just a hassle. I don't carry the camera on most local jaunts. But for the big trips, yeah, I carry it.

As far as remembering stuff when going fishing, everything I need is either attached to the Richardson or my waders, so there isn't any more to gather. If I want to carry a lunch on a long trip, I will wear the vest, but as the front is empty its more like using the back pouch as a backpack.

I've had a 4-tray Downs for 20 years. Holding up well but I didi have to replace the foam and I do need a new harness. I typically wear that and a fanny pack to keep floatants, tippets, forceps, etc.

The only exception is when I trek a few miles back into brookie country wearing a backpack. Then I often just carry a small box of flys and tippet material in a fishing shirt pocket. That's it.

rising fish always,
greenghost

I'm not sure that I know what a chest box is. Let that be known first and foremost. I'm visualizing an accordian with compartments to stow away flies. Does anyone have a pic or better description? I think I saw one at a shop that sold old stuff. I'm not being rude, I'm just not sure what they are. Help!

Chet- have a downs box- I used to put not only 2 million flies in it but indicators,weights, etc... also.

If your fat like me you might not like it since I could never see my feet. Something I found I really disliked when engauged in slippy wading.

wetnet- some pics attached

Here is my setup story from another recent thread:

My set up has evolved as I spend more time and have more experience on the water. (unfortunatly this has cost me several hundred dollars to cycle through gear)

Guess I have bought things that my more experienced buddies have used and have decided they were'nt for me. Down box,vests,chest packs etc..

Now wear a jacket or a fishing shirt with some pockets to hold 1 or 2 cheap fly boxes. I use a lanyard for tippet,nippers,forceps,gink. I can stow split shot,indicators and my little waterproof camera in my waders pocket- along with my car key and TP. For a longer cooler day trip or a day when it might rain I stow my jacket in the small of my back in my waders.

As evidenced by my stature: snacks are importance (I have diabetes) and need to have some energy on hand. I like a mix of dried fruit and nuts with some chocolate mixed in- good and light weight- stowed in the back of my waders. All held in there with my wading belt.

Attachments

• downs1.jpg
    downs1.jpg
    416.3 KB · Views: 4
  • downs3.jpg
    downs3.jpg
    394.5 KB · Views: 3
  • downs4.jpg
    downs4.jpg
    529.1 KB · Views: 4
OMG!!!!

How many flies do you intend on using in a day??? Wow!

I think the only step up is a machine that you can strap on your chest that makes flies on the fly. :)

I can see the up-side of the box. It certainly would be hard for ne to lose it! :)

wetnet and others,

Downs and Richardson are the two main manufacturers. Both are very nice. Acristic showed off the downs well. One thing to keep in mind on the downs is that each tray is removable. So, you can choose to use it with 4 trays as shown, or as few as one tray. The more trays, obviously you hold more flies but its more cumbersome as well.

Richardsons are sort of the cadillacs. Same idea, a bit nicer materials and more options, but more $$ as well (these things aren't cheap). More customizable on ordering, but without being able to remove trays you could argue they're less versatile once you have it. You can get inserts and swap them as you choose.

Anyway, The Richardson website is found here, if you're interested have a look around.

http://www.chestflybox.com/

I believe both brands are manufactured in good old PA, so thats a wash.

I finally put it together and they are not as big as they look. Pretty neat! I was picturing a suitcase.

I'm a big fan of my Downs Box as mentioned in a previous thread. It has lasted 24 years and I fish a lot and am hard on equipment. I have kept it limited to 3 trays as adding 4 or more causes a large protrusion. I also didn't like the bright green color so I painted it and put a walnut front cap with salmon fly on purely for cosmetic reasons. While I have had to replace the foam a couple times , and the shoulder strap once, this fly box is reasonably priced and very durable. The Downs holds my nymphs, wets, streamers, and conventional dries. I have separate pocket fly boxes for terrestrials, midges, and bass flies. Compared to the Richardson, the Downs may seem a bit plebian but I'd recommend it.

Back