Cheap wading boots

jeremymcon

jeremymcon

Anybody have a recommendation for cheap wading boots? I would really like to upgrade to some rubber sole cleated wading boots (cleated for traction, rubber not felt to prevent spread of invasive species). I've been spending *way* too much money lately on fly tying materials, so these boots need to be seriously cheap. It would also be nice if they were decent and would last me a season or two.

I've only ever had the felt soled version, but Cabela's ultralights were probably my favorite wading boot I've ever had. Light, comfortable, and reasonably supportive.

That said, they lasted only 1 season.

My dad gets by with the RedHead stuff, which not too long ago used to be like $25. Think they're up to about $50 these days. Reasonably durable (for the price), but I could never get past the raised platform like heel on them. Just feels weird to me. Again, I have zero history with their lug soles, only the felt. The lug looks pretty terrible per the eyeball test, the kind that would make cheapo rubber hipper soles look "grippy".

Agree with cabelas ultralights. I have a pair of the studded felt that I wore about three times a week last spring, summer, and fall. They are holding up great and I don't see why they won't make it through this year and next year. For me studded felt is the only safe sole. Its not hard to toss the boots in the freezer.

Its not hard to toss the boots in the freezer

You are either not married or have a freezer for your own use.

Try Sportsmans Guide.GG

[/quote]
You are either not married or have a freezer for your own use.[/quote]

Married with two kids in college. My giant freezer that use to store lots of food bought on sale now contains water jugs for boat ice and my wading boots if need be.

Sportsman's guide is interesting. Never heard or them before. They have frogg toggs studded wading boots for $50. That beats Cabela's ultralights by around $20. The reviews are all positive too.

If you join the club you'll get a discount. But if that's all you intend to buy from them ever, might not be worth it.

I've bought a few thing off of sportsman guide over the years. Their stuff usually isn't great quality. But sometimes, you can find a good buy there
And they have a great guarantee. I once bought a pair of hunting boots from them that just were not comfortable, and kinda hurt my feet. After using them almost a full season, I sent them back, and they refunded me in full.

Sierra trading post has some cheap wading boots available. If you sign up on their email list, you will likely get an adittional 30-40% coupon soon after.

Back