Cheap Lil' Fly Box

slimyrock

slimyrock

Was in a store the other day and at the checkout I saw one of those gift card tins. Brainstorm! A fly box for all those little midges. Of course it hasn't got a latch, but a sturdy gumband would work, and it fits perfect in that hip pocket. For the foam, you would have to improvise. I happened to have a couple of real old childrens life jackets around, (the cheap orange swimming pool type). I slit one of them open and inside were about eight layers of 5/16 closed cell polyethylene foam. Just right for snagging fly hooks. I know it won't look like the ones on the cover of the Orvis catalogue. But hey, who can ever have enough fly boxes. :hammer:

Instead of foam get an old refridgerator (sp) magnet and cut & glue it in upside down. Midges won't drop or blow out in a wind..

If you buy a box of Altoids, you get to eat the mints too. :-D

altoids tins are my favorite fly boxes.if i use foam,i cut ridges with a bread knife.i used to use a razor and straight edge but find the breadknife easier.

:lol: Gumband. :lol:

I glued a piece of foam in an altoids container before. It works well.

The magnet described above glued to the lid and the 5/16" closed cell in the bottom of the tin.

Use both for fly storage or at the very least the closed cell will hold it closer to the surface for a better chance of recover errrr of the box anyway. :-D :lol:

whats a midge... :hammer: we don't see no midge here.. :-D :-D

Awesome ideas. Thanks.

jayL wrote:

Hey don't make fun of how us western PA people talk. Just because we went dahn tahn to get a samich by Mount Warshington and fell into a jagger bush don't mean you gotta laugh!

ryguyfi wrote:
jayL wrote:

Hey don't make fun of how us western PA people talk. Just because we went dahn tahn to get a samich by Mount Warshington and fell into a jagger bush don't mean you gotta laugh!

Just a little clarification...

Ay, donchinz be makin' fun a how us Pixburgers tahk. Juss scuz weez gowin dahn tahn to get a samich by Mahnt Warshington and falled inta a jagger bush don't mean yinzu gotta be a jag awf...

Just incase you were serious. LOL
whats a midge... we don't see no midge here..
Midges are small flying insects that closely resemble mosquitoes.

Britannica online encyclopedia article on midge (insect), any of a group of tiny two-winged flies (order Diptera) that superficially resemble mosquitoes.

Chironomid midges (gnats) are small flies that range in size from 1/16 to 1/2 inch long. They range in color from light tan to light green to nearly black

Details about True Fly Family Chironomidae (Midges), including 68 pictures of 16 specimens and hatch matching tips for fly fishing.

http://www.troutnut.com/hatch/887/True-Fly-Chironomidae-Midges

Thanks Tom... I live outside the city so I'm not a full blown Yinzer... apparently a half breed.

You can safely assume that sandfly knows more about bugs than most of us. :lol:

:) I Know , no doubt in my mind. No insult intended Sandfly.

Actually a midge is just a little bit smaller than a smidge! LOL

I always read someone's profile before I answer their question. Unless they don;t have one then I just assume they are stupid and need pointed in the right direction. :-D :-D

I like the box idea. Half my fly compartments are mint boxes or film containers.

I clearly remember speaking in yinzer as a kid.

Back