Cheap find at small sporting goods outlet.

JakesLeakyWaders

JakesLeakyWaders

Found this place locally by chance, only been open 3 months.

They had some fairly decent entry level fishing gear. Lots of cheap stuff, half decent spin reels, even a few Penns and Okuma's and plenty of Quantums along with a mix of basic hunting stuff.

I slowly walked through the store looking at everything from cheapy fly rods and bulk fishing line, to hunting boots and of course, ball caps. Didn't really see much fly stuff that looked good at first.

The one thing I found, which surprised me, was a handful of Martin fly rod and reel kits for under 60 bucks. I was surprised because they came in an 8 ft. 3/4 weight which is lighter than most of the bargain kits I've seen around and they also came with a spiffy polished metal reel that looked nice. I think they were even 4 piece rods, though they might have been 3 piece.

I think I might go back and pick one up for my brother and possibly one for myself as a general loaner rod to anyone who wants to go with me and doesn't have their own rod. I cast lefty and have to respool and switch the reel around any time someone wants to fish with me.

Well being as there were only a handful of kits I'd PM anyone requesting info.

I posted about cheap fly rods on clearance at Gander Mountain in Harrisburg once, and they all vanished, just like that. At least I got a nice seven weight for 42 bucks before I made the post. It were a Guide Series Plateau 4 piece rod think they were about $130 or so the previous spring.

PM'd ya J diddle.

Hmmm.... Old Navy, HHGregg, Friendly's.... Am I close?

Jake,

Martins in the bubble packs are true broom sticks. Just sayin.....

Maurice quote:
Jake, Martins in the bubble packs are true broom sticks. Just sayin.....

Thanks, I wouldn't know, but in a 3/4 weight......maybe not so bad?
It didn't look like the typical Wally World kit. For 50 some bucks it might be alright for a beginner.

And Miller,

your killin' me man. Are you and J diddy collaborating? You're warm, no your on fire!

I imagine its the same place that opened up down the street from em about 3-4 months ago. Heh.

If you want slower and cheap, pick up an Eagle Claw Featherlight for ~$20, and you can add a graphite SA reel and Cortland line for about $50 OTD at a ruralish Sprawlmart.

Or, go upscale, and order up a Medalist instead of the SA graphite job.

JakesLeakyWaders wrote:
And Miller,

your killin' me man. Are you and J diddy collaborating? You're warm, no your on fire!

Nope we are not colluding to get your rods, lol. The reason I asked the initial question is that it was weird that you described the store, etc. I would have just asked a question about the rod. After buying/not buying the rod I would then talk about the store and potential deals. I mean coming in here and teasing up like that . . . . :-o

quote: "I posted about cheap fly rods on clearance at Gander Mountain in Harrisburg once, and they all vanished, just like that."

Kind of like posting "secret" fishing locations.

Hhhhmmmmmm ??? Certainly makes you wonder.

It sure got me thinkin', those rods sat displayed on a round turny-rack display for like weeks and I worked in the Colonial Park area so I was in there a few times and they weren't selling.

So I went in and eyeballed them a few times, was askin' Dave W. (the other Dave W., not Fishidiot) about Okuma reels, since they had the SLV's and Integrity's there. I bought the 9' #7 and an Okuma Integrity to match. Came on here within the next few days and posted about my bargain. I planned on going back to grab another rod weight, a #5 in the Plateau series which was the 4 piece rods and they were all gone within a week. Only the 2 piece Frontiers were left. There was at least 2 dozen rods sitting there for several weeks.

Back