Cheap 1-2wt Fly Rod

Wildbrowntrout

Wildbrowntrout

Does anybody know where i can get a 1-2wt fly rod outfit for cheap? I was hoping to use it in a native brookie stream (biggest ive seen were 6")

How cheap? Keep in mind at the distances you'll probably fish, under 15 - 20 feet, you'll likely need a 3 wt. line to load a cheap graphite rod. Orvis Superfine Touch is a nice "softer" graphite but very expensive.

I use fiberglass rods for my brookie fishing, actually all my fishing anymore. They'll load with not much more than the leader out. Echo makes a 6'3" 2 wt. glass rod for 200 bucks. Probably the cheapest quality rod you can buy.

In the stream i mainly fish, it is no more then 3 feet across and a few inches deep. I thought that the helios 2 2wt fly rod would be good because of how small it is. It also comes pre spooled with line backing and leader.

Can you cast one before you buy? Personally I'd look at the Superfine Touch series, there are a 6 foot 1 weight and a 6 foot 2 weight. And they're a hundred bucks off right now. A lot cheaper than a Helios.

I never saw those before somehow. I think i might check out the 1wt. Thanks for the info

Helios rods are $795.

You can get a Cabelas Three Forks, 7 1/2 ft, 3 wt, for $45.49.

And there are many choices in between.

Haha yea. Thats true

I'll vouch for the Three Forks 7'6" 3 wt. Get the outfit w/ the Prestige Plus reel and line. All your reel needs to do is hold the line. Drag isn't even a consideration for brook trout. For $80.00 I wasn't disappointed. Works great with a 3 wt. or 4 wt. line. It can cast well from 10 feet out to 30 feet .

http://www.tforods.com/fly-fishing/rods/finesse.html

Spending $795 for a rod to fish a 3' wide stream, foolish IMO. The suggestion for a $50 rod sounds about right. If you want a 5' 1/2 weight, link above to TFO. They are under $200

or one of these
http://theanglersroost.com/products/fiberglass-rods/klassic-glass-fiberglass-6%c2%bd-ft-3-pc-3-wt-rod/
for $99.95.

Or just the blank for $29.95 & build your own.
http://theanglersroost.com/products/fiberglass-blanks/6-12-foot-3-piece-3-weight-fiberglass-blank/

$200.00 does not equal cheap

KeithS wrote:
$200.00 does not equal cheap

It is when its someone else's money.

Whomever said the 3wt Three Forks in this thread had the winning answer. Stick a 4wt line on it and move on with your day.

For the OP, fishing a 1wt rod is an exercise in frustration. Its a niche tool that does some very specific things very well, and not much else. That thing is casting tiny dry flies very delicately. I don't fish for brook troot, but from reading endlesss threads about 4" native gemmies in freestone trickles, the one thing I can safely take away is that you're going to be using big boisterous flies, anyways.

A 3/4wt will happily cast that sz14 Royal Wulff all day long at whatever distance you need. A 1wt will not.

Furthermore, the Three Forks'll set you back fitty bucks so when you smash it on the stupid hike you won't feel bad.

gfen ^ +1

I have the 3wt Three Forks...what she said...

If a 3 wt is doable, I just picked up a Cortland Brook 7' 3wt for $88 from Sierra Trading post. That was with a coupon. They were $101 without. Regular price is $200.

It just came today so I haven't fished it yet.

I had post this before:

I picked up 2 Redington rods at Cabela's Hamburg store in the bargain cave (they still have a bunch of different sizes). Both were the discontinued Voyant model and new condition for $98 each. Past retail price was $190 (Mid-Level rod) for the 7'6" 3-wt and the 9' 6-wt. Fast action with tube.

Thanks for all of the help. I think im going to get the three forks fly rod and put a 3/4 wt reel on it. If anybody has any other suggestions i still will consider them.

Wildbrowntrout wrote:
I think im going to get the three forks fly rod and put a 3/4 wt reel on it.

Smart move.

I've owned the 7'6" 3wt Three Forks for a long time - two of them, actually. It's one of the all time great bargains in fly rods.

Casts great, takes a beating, and is so cheap it won't hurt much if you break it. One of mine is with me on every fishing trip I make.

I like mine so much I had a custom reel-on-rod case made for it. :-o

That's the only problem with that rod - it doesn't come with a rod case, just a divided rod sock. You might want to pick up a tube while you're at it to protect it. A section of pvc pipe with end caps is a good, cheap option.

Heritage,

I own a 6wt 9' fly rod for bass fishing in local ponds and i carry it in a 3' long piece of pvc pipe that i ise to hold it so it is a good idea.

+2 on Gfen's advise. A one weight rod is a novelty rod and not very practical. A 3 or 4 weight rod will do you well. If your initial thoughts were how the fight feels, buy a slow action rod. I have a $100 Skip Storch "Shu-fly" 6 1/2' 3 weight rod and I love it. Small fish feel big. And it is a sweet casting rod.

Back