Chautauqua Creek Steelheading on Sunday

GonnaFlyNow

GonnaFlyNow

I am fishing Chautauqua Creek tomorrow. I was thinking about heading over to Chestnut Street where Little Chautauqua Creek meets Chautauqua Creek. I am open to fishing anywhere on the creek or in the area. I have never fished it before and wanted to know if anyone knows a good spot. Also, are there any specials regs for Chautauqua Creek or NY in general?

Also, NY is free fishing this weekend.

Cheers in advance,

I have a place on Chautauqua Lake and fish Chautauqua Creek often for Steelhead. The stream does get pretty skinny the further south you go. There is some nice water where Little Chautauqua Creek dumps in. There is a fisherman parking area on the Sherman-Westfield road that provides stream access. However my favorite water is from Route 90 north to the lake.

Thanks for info. I went to the Chautauqua Creek / Little Chautauqua Creek area. I spent more time than I wanted trying to find good places to fish. It was slow going due to early morning ice. I didnt want to push it too hard. I wanted to get closer to the lake as you said. I just wasn't sure where to go. I will have to explore the area again. Lake Chautauqua is nice so I will come back.

Cheers,

Very heavy pressure there yesterday all the othe east side and NY tribe had very little fishing pressure.
Why could that be??

CRB,

I was thinking that yesterday would have been a good day to fish. It looked like a nice warm day with ok water levels. I am not surprised it got some good pressure. The creek is known to have a decent ratio of fish caught to fishing pressure. Maybe too many people are figuring this out. When I went on President's day, I didn't see anyone fishing. There were a few people stopping on the bridge to ask how the fishing was going and I did see a few people going in and out of the parking lot but they didn't get out. I don't blame them as it was about 20 degrees in the morning warming up to 30 in the afternoon. I fish when I can regardless of conditions usually because I have already made plans to be in the area. Anyway, yesterday I was thinking that it would have been a decent day to fish out there.

Also, there are a lot of people in the area for the ice carving events on Chautauqua Lake.

All the best,

Back