Charlie Meck has passed....

Rolf

Rolf

https://www.legacy.com/obituaries/centredaily/obituary.aspx?n=charles-r-meck&pid=190272030&

RIP I enjoyed his many fly tying articles and books

A sad day in Pennsylvania and a loss for our FFing community.

I still often refer to my beat up first edition of Pa Trout Streams and Their Hatches- it really inspired me to seek out new waters and had me prepared when I fished them. RIP Charlie.

Still have the Patriot fly he tied for me at the FF Show a couple years ago. What a nice guy.

RIP Charlie. Some called you the master spot-burner. I, however, will always remember you as the great educator.

So sorry to hear this.

When I first started FF, I read an article of his that he had written for fly fisherman magazine, called "The little juniata - an improving river with diverse hatches". And decided to give it a try. It quickly became my favorite stream - and still is, almost 40 years later.

I also bought his book "Meeting and Fishing the Hatches", which was my first FF book.
And through his writings, he kinda became my fishing guru. Many of the streams I now fish, were first tried because of what he wrote about them. And I just about always found what he said about the waters to be true.

I was fortunate to be able to meet and fish with him several times. And even traded some flies with him.
Fond memories that I'll cherish for the rest of my life

And there is nothing like "a hefty trout from a productive riffle."

I met Charlie on Six Mile Run when Spring Creek was all blown out from heavy rain. Charlie shared several trout streams in the area and I shared my wife’s chocolate chip cookies with him. Each of us thought he got the better part of the deal. Tight lines for eternity, Charlie!

I’ve gotten lotsa use out if two of his books.

A real loss to the history and character of the sport; the old guard is dying out and what we've got to replace them is...not as pleasing.

C'est la vie.

I've met and spoke to Charlie when I used to goto those NJ shows, nice guy. I think I had him autograph a book for me? Pocketguide to PA Hatches is still the only book I've reliably looked at since I purchased it and consider it invaluable.

gfled wrote:
A real loss to the history and character of the sport; the old guard is dying out and what we've got to replace them is...not as pleasing.

C'est la vie.

I've met and spoke to Charlie when I used to goto those NJ shows, nice guy. I think I had him autograph a book for me? Pocketguide to PA Hatches is still the only book I've reliably looked at since I purchased it and consider it invaluable.

Are you the artist formerly known as gfen?

Never met the guy but an instant legend he is upon passing. There's part of me that feels his writtings helped make me the angler that I am today. His openness to other forms of trout fishing was a refreshing reminder that we're all on the same team. Spot burner to some...maybe......motivator of many to seek now places and practice CnR.... definitely.

His book was recommended to me on here 10 or 11 years ago when I was 14 years old learning to fly fish. I grew up with it and still keep it in the center console. I've used it as a guide all over the state. RIP

I met Charlie at a book signing/TU Meeting in the early 2000s in York. I bought his new book and had him sign my old one that had accompanied my Gazateer under the back seat of my jeep for about 10 years. It was pretty torn and frayed. with lots of notes and such. He picked it up and said "WOW, I've never seen one look like this. You need a new one." I told him it was my second copy. and it gets alot of use. I still have it somewhere...He took me to alot of waters in PA.

Somewhere in heaven there is a "heavy streambred brown in a productive riffle" just waiting for him.

RIP Charles

I met Charlie at a TU banquet very long ago. About 12 years ago while volunteering at a skilled care facility (AKA nursing home) I did one on one visitation with a woman named Kitty Meck. During one of those visits she asked me what I like to do. I told her I like to tie flies and fly fish. She then told me her nephew Charlie wrote books about fly fishing. A light went on in my head, and realized it was Charlie. She was an adorable woman.

Back