charlie fox

R

rubby

does anyone know what the selling price of charlie fox book rising trout would be,im thinking about buying one for 50.00 is this to much?

Go to AddAll.com and do a search.

There are some second editions at very low prices.

And even the first editions are reasonable.

Other places to look for books:
Amazon
Alibris
Ebay

Would agree with t/bert about checking around. Then, when you obtain "Rising Trout," you will be in for some interesting reading. I'd also recommend Fox's "Wonderful World of Trout."

$50 seems high. I think I paid less than $30 not long ago for a copy. You may need to be patient and wait for one to come up.

I read Rising Trout this spring and it was a good read. Especially if you enjoy leasning a little " local" history.

Shock

there was a guy around here that had a hardback 2nd edition I believe. he had it marked at 65, I walked away from it at 45. I think you should be able to score one for 30 no sweat.

I just bought a second edition on ebay for $16 with the shipping about 5 minutes ago.

I found it - along with rrt's book - on alibris last winter for like $1-$2 each.

the one i was looking at was sign & number

"The Anglers Art" (RIP) used to hold an annual book sale, and the first few events were held at a venue in Carlisle. On July 6, 1991 (coincideNtally) I attended the event and purchased both of Charlie Fox's books (secondhand of course). My copy of "Rising Trout" is a second edition but "this Wonderful World of Trout" is a first. Mr. Fox, who attended the event (at an advanced age), was kind enough to sign both books in a shakey script. I paid 20 dollars each at that time for two books that I consider essential pieces of PA ff history. Though I haven't read them in decade, I recall they were enjoyable. Speaking for myself, and my near-obsession with historic ff books, I would not be averse to paying 50 or 60 dollars for a signed first edition of either book. I really miss the Anglers Art.

Dryflyguy: what is the title of rrt's book? Or perhaps rrt would know better.

rrt"s book's title is "The Trout at the Walnut Tree." He wrote the book when he was only 39 years old and "knew everything." Now that he's 63 and doesn't know so much, he'd write about how he fishes a lot differently. Buy the book as cheaply as you can get it; it is not really one of the great masterpieces of fly-fishing.

Also, I had the pleasure to meet both Charles Fox and Vincent Marinaro when I was young. Both were affable. Though Marinaro had the reputation as being kind of crusty, I found him to be knowledgeable and friendly. Fox was a gentleman. They remain two of my fly-fishing heroes. I reread parts of their books constantly, especially their discussions of sulfurs.

Back