Changes to North Branch of Potomac

Tucker733

Tucker733

https://woay.tv/senate-passes-manchins-bill-to-build-jennings-randolph-hyrdroelectric-project/

I believe this has been brought up in the past but it is now going to happen. It was said the operation of the damn wouldn't change, which I don't fully believe, but even if operation doesnt change I think the temperatures that have made the tailwater great for trout may change.

Kiss that fishery good bye

The only saving grace is the depth of the reservoir and the number of gates they can pull from. But still make me nervous as hell.

What does this do to the Tailwaters? I imagine warmer temps ????

Not knowing the NB at all or the dam, a hydro plant should not affect the downstream temperatures only if they keep a minimum flow. And that would be the big if. I'm thinking the problems would be more flow related when they want to fill up the dam to extract the most power for peak generating hours. It doesn't sound like a big hydro plant so maybe the flow changes won't be too bad. This is all purely speculation on my part. I'd be nervous too.

Got the scoop directly from a guide on the Branch. Basically he says it should help with maintaining cold water during the summer months. Flows shouldn’t be anything much different than what they have been. This tailwater is his career basically and he seemed to not have one worry.

If it's the same plan they've been floating for a few years, TU believes that it will actually improve the fishery, by getting rid of the occasional fish kill caused by too much dissolved air during heavy releases. (Basically fish die of the bends.) The plan includes baffle to prevent this.

Got a similar report. TU has endorsed it. Apperently the reason that it took so long to get through(13 years) was because the army corps refused to alter the flow plan. Fingers crossed.

Back