chadds ford

G

georgiabrown

Hey guys,

I had a post on here a couple of days ago about moving to Penn.
I have found a pretty nice place in Chadds Ford but don't know much about the area. I need to make a decision pretty soon but I can't actually go up there to look around. Any information would help.

Thanks

Wes

Wes,

I can't help you with the Chadds Ford area but if I could make a suggestion....

We call our beloved Commonwealth PA. That's pronounced Pee-Aye. We are the only state in the union to use initials of the state as its name.

I'm just joking of course...I hope you move here to experience all the other quirky nuances of our State.

Maurice

Maurice,

Well, Georgia isn't going to do that because who wants to say they live in G-Ay? Well... no one you want to hang out with I suppose :-?

So anyway, Chester county doesn't have a ton of trout streams. Ridly Creek is a stocked trout stream. It has a special reg section on it and the park is very nice.

Chester is, generally, pretty built up but the Chadds Ford area is supposed to be very pretty. Very high rent, I believe (in general).

Nearby you have Maryland streams, and streams in Chester county such as Valley Creek (the toughest stream I have ever fished). Chester also has Marsh Creek for warmwater fishing.

Your closest wild trout streams (besides Valley Creek) would be in Berks County. There are a couple in Lancaster also. In Berks, you'll also have the Tulpulhocken which is a nice stream too.

You may want to call Eyler's flyshop in Bryn Mawr for more information. The owners are great, and they head out to Colorado/Montana every summer so they might have a good comparison for you. (Check the flyshops page for the number)

Good luck

Georgia, Sorry I haven't been as much help as I'd hoped. Various reason, work,weather,etc. I live very close to chadds ford. It is a nice place to live, easy access to philly, New Bolton, West Chester, Delaware. Sort of up scale. There are many creeks and streams within minutes to hours away. Any other questions I can answer let me know.

Wes:

DO IT!

Chadds is a great area to live with lots of history; Brandywine Battlefield, Brandywine Museum, the Wyeth family and Hank's Place Diner! The town of West Chester is not too far off with lots of nice shops & restaurants as well as Kennett Square & Longwood Gardens, and nearby Lancaster County with all of it's attractions.

Also the state of Delaware and TAX FREE SHOPPING is just a short drive away!

As far as fishing goes; the Brandywine Creek is right there with decent smallmouth fishing and there are some pretty good warmwater lakes not far away. As far as trout goes; there is Chester Creek & West Branch of Chester Creek as well as the West Branch of the Brandywine and a host of others not too far away. Most of these are "Put & Take" stocked streams that fish best in the early part of the year and can be crowded but better fishing isn't too far away.

BTW Padraic:

Tom & Alice of Eyler's sold the business and moved to Montana two years ago! For info I recommend calling The Sporting Gentlemen in Media for the local lowdown on trout opportunities in Chester County.

Although Chadds Ford doesn't have a lot of trout streams close by, there are a ton of trout streams within an hours drive. These streams include just about every stream type you can imagine, once you get here let me know and I'll point you toward some good ones.
As for Chadds Ford, there are a lot of good things about living there, The Brandywine River Museum if you're a fan of the Wyeths. Longwood Gardens, Valley Forge Park, Brandywine Battlefield, Philly isn't far either, though I'd still take the train. Anyway, If I could afford living in Chadds Ford, I'd give it a look. Very historic area too. Horse country. It's got a lot of pluses.

I'll second what Bamboozle said.

(Oooops, too late. I'll THIRD what Bamboozle and Chaz said.)

Drop me an email if you want. I lived in Chadds ford for 3 years and just recently bought another house about 7 miles up-river in West Chester.

It is a nice area, I guess any recommendations would be based on why you think you want to move here? Work, etc?

I am a western PA countryboy and at first thought wished I never moved out here, but now I love it!

Thanks for the help guys. How long does it take to get to UPenn from Chadds Ford. My fiance wants to travel by train so any suggestions would help. I am currently in electrical sales and have spent a few years as an electrician. Any guidance on companies in the area would be great.

Wes

Well you can't forget about the brandywine river it has some of the best smallmouth fishing in the state the river has excellent warm water fishing. The Del state record smallie was caught a mile down stream from chadds ford . I would say that it would take about 40 minutes at the most to drive to PENN there is always alot of trafic trying to go into that area of the city . I'm not sure how long it would take by train, I work at 7th and Arch at the Federal Prison and it takes me about 25 minutes to get to work from Brookhaven but I shoot right up 95. Your best bet for trout fishing info, would be to stop into the Sporting Gentleman in Media there the some of the nicest people I know and tell them the Beast sent you they will probally laugh at first but thats what they call me when I come in . And also the local TU chapter is called DELCO_MANNING we meet the first Tuesday of every month at delco Field and stream gun club the website is dmtu.org If you need help with anything just pm me .....

GB:

I don't want to discourage you but commuting from Chadds to U of P West Philly campus ain't a treat. I would put it at REALISTICALLY 1 hour door to door during rush hour. I don't know if any classes are at any of Penn's hospitals like New Boulton or Weidner; if so that is not too bad a drive.

Just getting to I-95 via Route 202 is traffic signal city and could take you close to 40 minutes with traffic. Traveling via Route 1, although ONLY 22 miles is a slow ride with LOTS of traffic lights, 35 MPH speed limits in places and LOTS of cars. Getting to the Penn campus via either route you still have to wangle your way into West Philly ether via the miserable Schuylkill Expressway (I-76) or local streets.

Obviously timing is everything but be prepared for inconsistency. I travel a lot locally in my job and have done various drives from everywhere including Wilmington, West Chester, Chadds Ford, and points north to and from Philly and at best it is a total crap shoot. I have driven 50 percent of the distance from Chadds to West Philly during rush hour on Route 1 MANY times at it NEVER takes less than 30 minutes, usually more like 40 and I am the national poster boy for speeding and aggressive driving. :)

Long distance commuters like to fool themselves into believing that an actual 1.5-2hr door to door commute is only an hour. Trust me I know; I've been fooling myself for years.

As far as the train goes; you will need to drive to a train station and there aren't any exactly close by. There USED to be but I won't get into that. If you factor in the time to get to the train station with time to spare so you can find a parking spot and also so you don't miss the train; PLUS the running time of the train into Philadelphia, figure an hour EASY door to door.

If your reality is a daily rush hour commute into Philly every day, consider looking for residence in Delaware County where there is less open space but a much more manageable commute. Check out this map of the transit system called SEPTA. Look for a home close to public transportation, you may pay more for the convenience but you’ll have more hair to pull out when the fishing gets tough.

BTW, there are lots of large electrical contractors in the area as well as local distribution for national companies like Graybar. The IBEW may be a good place to contact since if you choose to be an electrician; the unions are VERY strong up here.

Good luck!

There is alot of fishing oppurtunities in the general area. As people have mentioned before the Brandywine East and west branch, White clay creek, valley creek, west valley creek, and pickering creek. These are within 30-35 minutes from you in Chadds ford. State college which has some fantastic creeks is 2 1/2 to 3 hours away. The Tulpehocken Creek is about an hour from you. Eyler's fly shop is now TCO fly shop TCO Fly Shop They have shops both near valley creek and the state college creeks.

The general area is gorgeous with a ton of history and oppurtunities for outdoor activities. Biking, hiking and canoeing are all popular.

Commuting into Philly would not be fun from Chadds Ford.

Any other questions shoot me a message.

Hey pal, I live in the knoll. And work at Hanks place corner of 1 and 100 by brandywine prime and the wooden wawa. If you ever want to go fishing let me know. I personally go to Pocopson creek behind pocopson elementary school. Its a small creek there are alot of good sized brook trout for the stream.

My mom travels to widener every day which isnt as far but is out there.

The brandywine isnt that good of fishing down in our area. West and East branch of brandywine is really nice i cought a few 10" brooks from east branch today. There is also white clay creek about 15-20 mins from chadds ford. There stocking it the 30th so me and some friends are heading down there towmorrow.

Oh and you want to meet the wyeths helga and andrew they come into hanks on sunday around 12 usually

Back